-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > jimmontg

Conversation Between jimmontg and samuraistuart
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 13 of 13
  1. samuraistuart
    02-19-2017 11:48 AM
    samuraistuart
    Part 3...
    If it is unprotected from decarb...there will be more decarb. I just don't see any good reason at all to place blades in a cold kiln...and have asked the metallurgists, and they say don't do that. Plus...what about kilns that OVERSHOOT temp when stabilizing at target temp? My kiln doesn't....its 110V and very slow to warm up (glass kiln), never overshoots but I wait anyway before inserting the blade. Guys with evenheats and paragons have often noted that the temp will overshoot big time. You want your blade in there in when it does that? Not me.
  2. samuraistuart
    02-19-2017 11:47 AM
    samuraistuart
    Part 2...
    You may/may not know this...I asked Kevin Cashen and Robert C about the importance of a 1200 pre soak in Hypefree blades some years ago. Their answer...it is not needed in knife sized cross sections. Pre soak is to allow a thick, or complicated, piece of steel to come up to temp evenly. If the steel is heavily alloyed, as in some of the stainless and tool steels out there today, then pre soak at critical, then ramping to the high austenitizing temp is indeed important. For O1 in knives we make....not needed at all. Plus, think about it....that is excess time in the austenite range (1350+). We are after small grain, no? That is time in the austenite phase that "may" grow aus grain. Granted....steels like O1 with the Vanadium and Tungsten probably won't see much of that. But 1095 and the like? I can't imagine what that grain looks like, especially on slow ramping kilns like mine.
  3. samuraistuart
    02-19-2017 11:46 AM
    samuraistuart
    Jim, thanks for your input on the O1 warping thread. The comments I want to make are more directed to you, so would be derailing the thread. I think someone said it best....for this situation...we might have to actually BE THERE to help the guy.

Anyway...a few things I noticed and wanted to tell you...you mentioned a filet knife in D2 that was flexible. Maybe you know this already, but I just wanted to clarify for you....flexibility has absolutely nothing to do with a steel type or how hard it is. It is simply a matter of geometry. Now, with that said, HOW the piece will FAIL will be determined by hardness, and some extent the steel type. Looks like I have to send this message in pieces....