Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > rockhound

Conversation Between rockhound and Bowman
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Bowman
    12-19-2012 07:45 AM
    Bowman
    So, I tried a variety of methods to put a secondary bevel on my first blade and though it worked I'm not happy with it. I tried sandcloth followed by a cheap two-sided stone. I managed to scratch the blade on the coarse stone and my angle is a little too acute. Anyway, I might try a Work Sharp unit. Looks like they get pretty good reviews if you haven't heard of them. I can get one locally for $79. I'll let you know how it works.
  2. rockhound
    11-22-2012 01:00 PM
    rockhound
    I had asked about using coarse sharpening stones to create a secondary bevel in another thread. Ray and Carl both recommended against it. I also asked about using a Fiskars Axe Sharpening tool that I have and they said it would destroy the stones inside of it and the bevel angle likely wouldn't be correct so I abandoned that idea also. I'm about to get another blade back from HT and am not looking forward to cutting edge.
  3. Bowman
    11-21-2012 09:55 PM
    Bowman
    I was wondering if you tried coarse sharpening stones? Obviously they're good for sharpening but I don't know if it would just be a lesson in frustration trying to establish a secondary bevel.
  4. rockhound
    11-21-2012 07:16 AM
    rockhound
    Hi Bowman,
    I can't say I "recommend" doing it that way.... it's the only way I know. Once that blade is HT'd it is SO difficult to create the cutting edge. With this one I plan on roughing the cutting edge with my small diamond file then wrapping grits of emery around the mill file and drawing. This will take hours again. A regular Nicholson file (without emery) will be torn to shreds filing HT steel.... I tried that on my first stock-removal and learned the hard way by quickly trashing two files. I'm not sure that there is an easy way to do it without a 2X72. Every time I ask on the forums the responses are immediately "just get a 2X72, that's how we all do it". Well, that ain't gonna happen for a while and I need to keep making knives (cuz it's so dang fun). I sometimes wonder if these guys are capable of making a quality knife without a 2X72. Gotta figure... our ancestors made many beautiful razor sharp knives and swords historically throughout the ages without the use of a 2X72.
  5. Bowman
    11-21-2012 06:21 AM
    Bowman
    Hey Rockhound

I'm wondering if you'd recommend using that diamond file/emery cloth combo for putting a secondary bevel on a blade. I'm almost there on my first and second but need to figure it out. Not a lot of guys doing this without a grinder and most videos etc. are just for sharpening. Thanks for your time.

Brett