View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM

Get to know the owner very well first. Do some background research as best you can. Make sure you can trust them. Small stores go out of business, easily and quickly. Merchandise has a habit of disappearing without a trace. Don't ever put more in consignment shops than you can afford to lose or give away. Negotiate your prices and store percentages up front and don't forget the issue of collecting and reporting sales tax (if so needed). Don't know about FL but GA is very diligent in tracking down their ounce of flesh. Keep really good records - 2 sets in 2 places to CYA.

Not trying to scare you but these are hard lessons to learn on your own. I have been burned twice and one was by a person I once considered a friend. Both were expensive lessons, but the physcological blow the worst part. Just be careful.

All that being said, I have two very good consignment set ups here local that are very easy to keep up with. I really like the way they have worked out.
Good luck. Just give everything the old "stink" test, if it smells bad don't eat it!

If you go that route, Hope it works well for you. If you're coming to the Blade in June, come by my table I-27 and we can compare notes and trade war stories.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 01-20-2010 at 06:08 AM.