View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldO View Post
I've noticed that some people make saw blade knives using their existing temper. I like that simplicity for my first try but it would make it harder to use hand tools I believe. I tried cutting out a knife shape with a regular hand saw blade using a 1/2" cold chisel. It worked although the metal got a little bent here and there. Filing took a very long time. Anyone use a chisel to cut out a crosscut saw blade????

Generally saw blades will be a tad to hard to cut with a chisel. But the existing temper is way to soft for a useful knife. Look into getting a small side grinder (4 1/2") and some cutting wheels. This tool will cut through those saw blades pretty fast, just wear your eye protection.

Years ago a gentleman brought a "saw blade" knife to me because he couldn't get it to hold an edge. Turned out the guy that made it used it "as is" and even said he'd used the original temper because it was "good enough". That blade was useless. If the maker actually used and tested his knives he would have found that out.