View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Under those circumstances I think you did well to get what you have there. If you had been able to get to the Chat Room I probably would have suggested you try a stub tang single pin handle. With that method you could have attached an entire tree for a handle and shaped it into just about anything. I make most all my knives that way because it really allows you to show off a nice piece of wood to it's best advantage, the balance of the knife is usually improved, and if properly implemented this method provides a very strong handle. You can read a description of the method here if interested: http://www.rayrogers.com/stubtang.htm
Thanks for the link, Ray. I will be trying that technique on future projects. I have a knife that I've been slowly working on for my daughter. I started it a few months ago, and the tang is just about as your write up describes, so that may be the perfect candidate to try it with for the first time. Its just a wall hanger so she can tell her friends what a cool father she has, so if I do screw something up, no harm, no foul on that one.

I've not used stainless for anything, but I know some of the different types can be quite finicky when it come to HT, with soak times, environment, etc... I do all of my own HT with my coal forge, for now, and all I've mainly used is 1080 and 5160, both pretty forgiving for HT with such a simple set up. Is there a type of stainless for the pins that I should use that would lend itself better to hardening with my set up? I don't believe I would have a local supplier in my town for round stainless in the proper size, so I would have to order them online. I'll have to take a look at the knife supply web sites, so perhaps with what is available, it is a moot question, but figured I'd ask.

Also, I don't recall reading that you peened the ends. Do you just let the epoxy hold them in, or is peening them just a given?

Okay, just reread it and see that you use 419 stainless.

Last edited by foreveryoung001; 05-17-2016 at 11:25 AM.