View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Steel Addict

So I put layers of cable damascus between layers of 15n20....

I made a cable damascus billet for this and cut it in half. Those halves were stacked with some thick layers of 15n20 sawmill blade. I kept it as a 4 layer billet and twisted it as heavily as I could possibly get away with. This ended up being my nephew's 9th birthday present with is parents' consent. I was quite fortunate that I ended up with the edge being in a 15n20 layer so I could leave the pattern on the bevel instead of mirror polishing it. I also posted video of putting the layers together and such on my YouTube channel, the video isn't super compelling. I just thought it would make his present a little more personal. I was VERY pleasantly surprised at what I got out of the process, having not seen anyone else do this I've dubbed it Curiosity Damascus until I either think of a better name or learn that it's an already named pattern elsewhere. I ended up with a little funk in the etch, possibly because my ferric chloride is pretty old or I got punished for not polishing it with the 3,000 grit after the last etch because I was interested in finding out if skipping that step better preserved the oxide layer. I also hot stamped his initials in the top while I was stamping my maker's mark. ALMOST went through the last initial, sadly I didn't have time to redo it as everything was wrapped up the morning of his party.