View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Les, now that you've moved to Corpus, you promised to come down to Brownsville for a visit.

Also, look up a fellow maker there in Corpus named Jeff Vesley.

I have a complete machine shop that has been paid for by making knives, but if I tried to charge an hourly rate no one could afford to buy my knives. The knife is only worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay. His willingness to pay depends on his perception of the knife itself and his judgement of your skills and personal values.

Like most makers over the long haul, I've grown tired of taking orders for knives. I've always done this for my personal enjoyment and satisfaction only. The price I get isn't a factor at all.

I have always asked for a 10% deposit from buyers I don't know, just to keep us both honest. If it's somebody I know and/or trust, I don't want a deposit. Now if the knife is so unique it wouldn't be sellable to anyone else in case the buyer might default, I refuse the order.

I have never been late on a delivery, mostly because I give myself enough time to get the order done, and maybe do something for myself during that time frame. You need a few knives on hand for shows and walk-ins.

I guess it would be accurate to say that for me knifemaking isn't a business. It's just what I do. And I like what I do. I also like my boss.