View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex
Please know I am not challenging you, just clarifying for the general forum browser. As my Granddaddy always said "Don't waste good paint on bad wood! The chickens will never know, but you will."
LOL! Carl, not feeling challenged at all.

It's a valid point. If someone were to put the two different post together...about seeing his knives on page 1 and fit and finish on page 2...well just didn't dawn on me. I guess I should have stoked Les a little about those d**n cool butterfly knives just to head that thought off.

The point I was making about fit and finish was pointed at the ideal of coming up with a design that was quick and easy and knocking out a bunch to sell to the masses. It certianly wasn't pointed at Les's knives. Just at a business model that might include inexpensive knives.

I think too many makers make the mistake of thinking that just because they make a great blade to sell it for $150 it doesn't have to look as finished as a $1500 knife. The average buyer, non collector, doesn't know 5150 from 1016. All they care is does it rust, is it sharp and does it look good. That was my point, which is kind of the same as your good paint on bad wood point I think.

I don't know if you've seen the pics of Les's butterfly knifes, but I and a heck of a lot of other makers would be hard pressed to produce anything close those things. And I am certain I couldn't do it efficiently enough to make a living. If Les can...he is the man.

Les is a comer, up and coming for all those city folk out there. ;~) I HOPE Les nor anyone else interpreted my post the way Carl pointed out. They are strictly aimed at hypothetical business models.

Oh, and Les. I'm sure your wife is burning up the internet for info on LLC. You might have her compare the liability clauses in LLC against a Sole Proprietorship if you guys are doing it without a lawyer. Depending on your situation, it may fit better and you can still protect your personal assets if your careful.

chiger,