View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I will only consign with a very select few dealers, who have proven their honesty and longevity. There are dealers out there whom I consider to be "predators"..... laying in wait.... be careful. If you don't see the "big name" makers consigning/working with a given dealer, there's probably a good reason.

For the most part I tend to sell to dealers rather then consign. This is another area to be wary....most dealers try to demand 30%+, which I think is insane. My personal limit for discounting to a dealer is 20%, and that is ONLY if they purchase multiple pieces/knives at the same time.

Experience has taught me that consigning knives to small time/local stores is a major pain in the butt. Don't expect them to keep your best interests at heart..... You've got to keep an eye of the inventory you've consigned, and do so on a very frequent basis.
Early in my career, I consigned to a local store that up and closed on me, without any notice, and left with over $1K worth of my knives...... never was able to track them down.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."