View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:14 PM

Hammer Technique for Ladder Pattern

Hello There, I just tried my first ladder pattern and am both happy and disappointed. I had 6"x 1" x 3/8'' billet, 1084 and 15n20, folded to 224 layers, grooves cut in at 1/3 way through on each side, alternating. Seemed OK so far! When I hand hammered the grooved billet flat - just enough to flatten bar and remove grooves, I ended up with numerous cold shuts. I think my hammering technique was not right. I started hammering in center of the billet and then up/down to the edges then outward to the ends. When grinding the billet clean and flat, cold-shuts kept appearing to the point where I had to stop because the billet was getting to thin to use. I etched the pattern and it was very cool where there was no cold-shuts. Can someone please tell me a good technique to use when hand hammering the grooved billet flat to avoid those cold-shuts. Or what I may have possibly done wrong when hammering. I know it is a learning experience, but would like to shorten the learning curve as much as possible. Lot of work and time (but enjoyable) to end up with a non-useable piece of Damascus. Maybe I need to leave the original (un-grooved) billet a little thicker also. Good advice would be appreciated. Thanks