View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

Small Radius Grinding

I built a variable speed belt grinder for small wheels. It still had it's limitaions and took up room in my small shop. The best solution for small radius grinding that I've come up with is a die grinder. It's a Dremel on steriods. I made a plate to go on it and put it in the vice. I plugged it into a variable foot pedal control. I can vary the speed and use both hands to control the knife. I use sanding drums on 1/4 inch arbors and can go up to 2 inch. I bought the die grinder from Habor Frieght on sale for $30.00, and the foot control off of ebay for $12.00. I think the grinder runs about 13,000 RPM. With a course drum, it will do some serious grinding. Then I put on finer drums to smooth the finish. It has room around the drum to even roll the edges on both sides. It's really slick, costs less than $50.00, and if I'm not using it, I can stick it in the drawer. One thing I do have to watch out for is that the drums will fly off at really high speeds. I get my best results at lower speeds anyway, so it hasn't been an issue.