View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Guru

Carl said, "the weight would pull one's pants down"

I made a 12" double edged knife for my son that fit that description. He wanted a knife he could use if a bear attacked in his back country trout fishing in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. (A tale of its own) Overall the knife was 19 inches with a brass bullet shaped pommel. I am very proud of it as I forged it from 1/4" 1084 and put a lot of work into it. My Magnum Opus knife so to speak. But it is on the heavy side and my son said it tended to pull his pants down so I made a leg strap setup for it and he really liked the look of it strapped to his calf.

Kind of nice to do your own leather work, but at the time I didn't make belts like I do now and that knife needed a custom belt to go with it like some revolvers have gun belts. I'm getting over some injuries from an auto accident, but am ready to do some leather and knife work. I'm in the "thinking of how to make it" stage right now, but to go with my Magnum Opus knife I want to make a Magnum Opus belt/sheath to go with it. Just seems the thing to do.

By the way I blued that knife with the cold blue "Super Blue" by Birchwood Casey. Here is a tip for getting a nice even and deep blue using it.
Make sure knife is super clean and buffed to where you want it.
Then I put my bottle of blue in a pot of boiling water then remove from heat and let sit, don't boil with the bottle in the pot.
When I figure the Blue is hot I run my kitchen sink's hot water, which here is 180 degrees (too hot if you ask me) and run it over my blade until it is hot as well.
Then I apply the bluing solution using 000 or 0000 steel wool and will dip it under the hot water when it cools.
I rub it in using moderate pressure and it comes out quite even and is very dark.
Let dry, then using a clean piece of steel wool buff the surface clean.

I had problems trying to get the cold blues to come out even with some alloys like 5160 because of the chrome in them I guess, though don't really know, but O1 could be splotchy too, but after discovering the steel wool trick it stopped being an issue. Works with Scotch Brite too for a satin finish and even after buffing with the steel wool it is brighter than you'd think it would be.
BTW a differential heat treat shows up a little or a lot, depends upon the difference.
I tried to put up a picture from Flickr of the knife, but it doesn't work.

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-07-2020 at 11:23 PM.