View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 12:03 AM
Skilled

Quote:
have in my hand as I write this a Johnson brown button with no model or blade length stamp, along with a late 70's to early 80's Johnson sheath with both model and blade length. There ya go.
Thanks for info Joe. Johnson apparently did not put any numbers on any of his early sheaths, brown button or babydot. That includes all models not just 1&5s. Mid 1963 is when he began adding numbers...

A babydot Johnson sheath, any model, without numbers is usually pretty precisely dated to first six months 1963 and possibly just the second Q of that year. And of course any Johnson brown button predates the baby dots and would likely be last half 1962 to 1st Q 1963.

Not sure if you are talking about a model 1 sheath in your second point... But only model 1&5 sheaths (which as you know were identical) were altered in early 1970s to have only length stamp. Other sheaths continued to have both numbers.

This is why I speculate that lots of customer questions about ... say ... a model 5 received with a sheath stamped “1” .... caused Mr. Randall to throw up his hands and tell Johnson to leave off the model numbers on 1&5 sheaths.

That said there are always a anomalies as you have pointed out. And of course there could be a gap from when a sheath was made and when it was sold...which could explain older-sheath/newer-knife. Older-knife/newer-sheath likely means replacement.

Regards

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-12-2020 at 11:16 AM.