View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Guru

7cr17MoV; I searched for this steel and could't find a discussion of it here.

I have read that it is the equivalent of 440A, but I bought a filet knife to use as a pattern with some modifications and the thing is harder than my RC 58 scratcher and my RC 60 scratcher barely scratches it which means it is definitely in the 59 range. I was not aware this 7cr17MoV stainless steel was capable of getting that hard. It at best has .75 carbon and .1 % Vanadium, but this thing is hard and it is tough to bend flexible (1/16 thick), could the company that sold it have made a mistake? I was grinding the handle to a more ergonomic shape and also to make it fit my S30V material (1 inch wide) and I had to use my angle grinder cause it just wore out my discs on my 8" disc grinder. I used a silicone carbide disc too. I'm thinking it may be 9cr14MoV instead which is closer to 440C.

I bought the knife a few months ago on sale and they advertise it at RC 59 and I thought that was just exaggeration for the type of steel they said it was. I didn't buy it to make into a knife to sell, but I guess I will now. I whittled a piece of dymondwood with it and it didn't dull or roll over the edge. I don't bother with a brass rod test with stainless, but the edge on this knife went through a lot of dymondwood with no harm done.

I searched the Forum and couldn't find any discussion of this Chinese steel so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by jimmontg; 12-10-2016 at 03:03 PM.