View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Steel Addict

Sam - Bo identified the knife in the photo as his first by the handle. Irrespective of his age or memory, it is apparent he was certain of it both in oral communication and his own writing.

I think you are really trying to make something that just isn't there. You can't change history because it doesn't suit your line of thinking or the way you think it should be. I don't look at it as a negative Bo rebuilt the knife, I think it is a positive and am glad it is still around.

Gaddis obviously had the same concerns looking at the protruding tang from the 1937 photo (apparently found after Bo's passing) when he was researching the book and comparing it to the 1938 photo. Understand this was Gaddis looking at photos years ago and trying to decipher some things after Bo passed. I don't think either he or Gary studied it even as much as you have from the onset of this thread, and "probably" is a far cry from it isn't. I would venture to say it was a casual "Doesn't look the same, not sure. Could be. Maybe. Maybe not. I dunno" type of conversation.

Bo identified it as his first knife. I don't know what else to say.

If Bo took a Zach and altered it, God forbid, but had identified it as his first knife, it is still his first knife even after being repaired. If it was tipped and had to be fixed, that changes if from being his first knife? I fail to see your logic.

Another example, I have seen a couple early 14's/15's that once had tenite handles that had been replaced with micarta. Does that mean it is no longer a 1960 model 15 because the failing tenite was replaced with micarta? Nope. It only makes it a "rehandled" 1960 model 15 and would be represented as such. Still the same knife and sheath.

Last edited by crutchtip; 12-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.