View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Steel Addict

When I first started making I made a few out of this same thing a 2 man saw. Good steel, has good carbon.
The steel has enough carbon to take a good edge and once sharpened initially a few passes on a stone while using will bring it back to a razors edge.

The maker that advised me when I started making knives from the 2 man saws. He told me that the steel probably had about all the potential that it would have if it were properly HTed at the end of the process. So he told me about how to do it without having to anneal the steel and re-HT!

I was advised if I did not over heat the steel I probably wouldn't have to HT. I used a side angle grinder to most of my cutting. Cut a little large and grind to shape, keep it cool and you will not have to reheat treat.
I spot annealed the handle for drilling. In other words take a torch and heat an area about the size of dime red hot and pop it onto a drill press and drill the heck out of it. It ruins a bit but I found that the cheaper masonry bits would usually cut a couple of holes before it tore off the carbide head!

The key to not having to HT is too not overheat the steel. Grind bare handed and when the steel begins to get hot cool it off.

However in the end it makes a good knife. Like I said once sharpened a couple of quick passes brings it right back up too a razors edge while using!

Here is a few that I made from that steel:

1800' style scalper

friction folder

A couple of skinners

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 11-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.