MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

Kiridashi help

I want to make a kiridashi style knife. This style of knife looks to be extremely useful in my line of work. It would be ideal for wire stripping, boxes, bands, scribeing metal and scoreing sheet rock hell just about anything.

My question is has to do with the bevel on this style of knife. Since it is flat ground one one side of the blade with only a single bevel what would my ideal angle be?
On a normal knife a good angle is 15 degrees on each side creating a total angle of 30 degrees?
So on a knife with a single bevel would the ideal angle be a single bevel of 30 degrees on one side? Please correct me if I'm wrong about any if this. After all I am here to learn!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Depends on how delicate you want the edge to be. On that style blade most any angle will result in a very sharp edge but larger angles will make a stronger edge. The larger angle won't slice as well as a thinner angle but that doesn't sound like what you need anyway.

Finally, don't worry about hitting some mythical precise angle, doesn't really matter much anyway. Much of the decision about what angle you'll have is made automatically when you choose the thickness of steel you will use. Just grind what looks good to you. Heat treat the blade and test it. If you think the grind needs to be thinner then re-grind the hardened blade a little higher up. As long as you use fresh belts it won't be difficult to do ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Steel Addict

Ok thanks Ray! Have you ever made a knife like that? As far as the edge on the back side all I need is to flat sand it to de burr it right? If I'm right the whole goal is for the back of the blade to be completely flat right?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've made chisel ground blades before. Yes, the back side is basically untouched....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Master

If you're using carbon steel in a forge, keep in mind after heat treat you'll probably have to remove a thin layer of decarb. If you don't the edge will remain softer than it should.

Another option is to have the blade bevels ground equally on both sides with just the edge bevel being chisel ground. I like both methods but my customers seem to like both sides ground better.

They are handy little buggers and are often my edc blade.

Tags
angle, back, bevel, blade, choose, edge, flat, forge, heat treat, knife, made, make, sand, sharp, steel