MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

looking for a video

Can anyone recommend a good video on carving, staining and tooling leather for sheaths. I have the Chuck Burrows video and own a good number of the Tandy books but for me watching someone do it is far more educational. I want to start putting art sheaths with art knives.
Thanks
Steve

Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Skilled

Steve It was good to meet you at the Blade Show. I hope it was a good one for you and you enjoyed your stay in Georgia. I don't know of a video, but someone around here likely does. I'm waiting for it too.

I have just started doing a little tooling myself after about a 40 year gap. Most of what I knew I forgot, and what I remembered is probably wrong, but I started anyway. I figured that is what all the scrap pieces of leather were for. I don't have but a couple of bought tools and a few that I made, but it doesn't take very much. Getting the leather wet enough without it being too wet has been a bit of a challenge. The biggest thing to me though was realizing that when I cut out the pattern for the sheath, I was close enough that the design I put on it was in the right place when the sheath was completed. Haven't messed one up yet and I am as surprised as I can be about that.

Until you find the video just get some scraps out and try it. You might be surprised at how good your efforts look. For those that don't turn out too good, remember the number one rule of knife making is: "Never let anyone look in your scrap box." Write that rule down somewhere. It will allow you to try things you never knew you could do.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hi Steve,
Chuck has a second video on gun holsters that goes into depth of the finishing processes, and tooling, etc,,,It is not knife related, but a very informative video.
I'm sure it has what you want here.
I hope it helps you get where you want to be.
God bless,
Geno

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives, sheath