MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Skilled

Lightbulb Cleaning

I have started cleaning some of my folders which are in need of that badly. However, this has brought a question or two up. I use a flat grinder to do much of the blade, but still have to get the small area next to the shoulder where the grind begins. I usually do that by hand, but it is tedious and makes a much longer cleanup since it disrupts the machine grind. The second thing is to work the inside and clean the spring and/or the lock. Something that fit the Dremel would be nice, but I think it needs to sand too.
So, I am at a block and as usual, will appreciate any advice that is given.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You didn't say how the knives are constructed or what they are made out of. You did say they have a lock and apparently they aren't made with screws or you would have dis-assembled them so I assume you have a pinned together lock back like the Buck 110 or one of the Spyderco knives.

The area on the blade that you mentioned is called the plunge cut. If your grinder won't reach that area then , of course, you have to do it by hand. If the blades are flat ground a hard flat stick wrapped with sandpaper might be the way to go. Skip the grinder and do it all by hand. On a small blade it won't take long and the finish withh be the same all along the blade.

When I make a folder for myself I use titanium, fiberglass, and whatever blade steel suits my purpose at the moment. A folder like that can be easily washed out in soap and water. Just dry it, and squeeze in a drop of oil. If the blade is tool steel, oil that too.

If you can't take the knife apart there are really only two ways to clean it out that I can think of. One is just to use a high pressure air hose. That will at least get the loose stuff out. The other is a liquid wash of some kind - soap and water or a solvent like mineral spirits if it won't damage the handle material.

If you are really trying to clean it and refinish all the metal, you'll have to find a way to take it apart...
Old 02-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
grinder?.....for cleaning? ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Skilled

On flat ground blades with 01 or other rusting steels, a flat grinder with 220 grit up to 600 grit does a fine job of bringing steel to its original finish. I use a grinder I built that runs slow and never overheat the steel. Some of these blsdes are deeply pitted and this has worked fine. I learned the technique from a gent that cleans high priced Case knives for a living.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to Glocker21
Lube

What is the best lube for folders?:confused:

Old 02-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

white lightning is probably the most popular among aficianados, but there are many others that are suitable. just avoid petroleum products as they attract and hold dust/grit which defeats the purpose.
i like molybdenum disulfide - used to be available as tuf-lube. check out slickote products.

Tags
blade, knife, knives