MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-29-2001, 08:37 PM
sspitza

Damascus Knives

I am wondering if people consider brand name damascus knives to be a custom knife. They are mass produced, but they are each as unique as a finger print. Is there a certain criteria to be considered custom?
Just curious.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:35 PM
Little Hen Knives

I consider a custom to be a knife made for a customer to his specs, handle material and shape ( with a little persuation on the maker`s side as to which blade design is best suited for the task at hand)
Basically a guy calls me up..says he wants a 3 1/2" hunter with box elder burl handle, nickle silver bolster, twist damascus blade, with mosaic pins..etc. etc we talk about its intended use, come up with a design, I quote him a price, he smiles from ear to ear, and I`m firing up the forge!!lol....thats what i consider to be a custom.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:49 PM
Bob Warner

I concur with Ron. Custom means it is made for the customer to meet his requirements that are specified prior to the knife being made. Making a knife that happens to meet the needs when a customer buys it is not custom.
Old 09-30-2001, 12:51 AM
ansoknives

allthough made different factorymade knives are not customs and should not be discussed here.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives