MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 PM

stretching titanium

How do you gentlemen go about stretching your titanium. I just finished the innerds of a new liner lock and the spring lock is a couple of thousands to short. It locks but right over at the far side of the blade. Is there any way of stretching the ti so I don't have to make a whole new side. I am working with .040 titanium.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Old 06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

Steve, I hate to be the one to tell you; But make another one. I've gotten to know you
over time on the forum and you wont be happy less its right. If you need some more ti. .04 or .05 let me know . I can spare a little , JIM
Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Skilled

The Incredible Hulk can stretch it for you. Only way I know of.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Skilled

From Siversmithing 101..application of overlapping hammer blows across the width of the metal to be stretched will increase the length of a bar. You just have to make sure that the blows do not stretch one side more than the other or it will bend the bar.

Unfortunately the hammer marks must be polished out carefully before re assembly, sometimes difficult if the hammer faces were not highly polished and the anvil polished as well.

George

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've done that before to tweak a slightly loose lock bar. Ti stretches pretty easily but it also dents easily. So, at least for the way I've done it, there's no removing the dents because they're too deep. Maybe you'll refine the technique a bit and not have that problem.

What I did was take an old punch and round the tip until there were no sharp edges. The tip is about twice the size of a dull pencil lead. Place the lock bar on a small anvil, put the punch at least 1/16" back from the edge of the lock, and tap sharply with a small hammer. The duller the tip of the punch the harder you must strike but the shallower the dent. If the tip is too round the dent will be deep but the ti will move more. Of course, you do this on the back side of the liner where it won't normally be seen but knowing those dents are there will irritate the heck out of a perfectionist...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Master

Steve .
The easy way to stretch the leaf is to use a a small metal triiangle of metal say 3/16 on each side ,placing one edge down and giving the flat a hit with a hammer. Do this spaced about 3/32"apart starting about 1/2" from the engaging end and for about 1'or more towards the back .This is done on the scale side and is then cleaned up on a bit of a taper from back to front. This will also allow for bearing clearance between the scale and the blade. Far easier to do than relieving the bolster to accomplish this . Frank

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Steel Addict

Steve,
Do you have room to use a bigger stop pin ? That would push the bottom of the blade closer to the lock bar.

Dan
Old 06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Steel Addict

yip thats what i was gonna suggest,a bigger stop pin.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 PM

This one actually has a back bar and stop all in one and I really don't have much room to move the blade up without it sticking out the top. I will try Frank's suggestion of the stretch but I figure I will have to remake more than likely.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Steve

Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Master

Steve.
It may sound a difficult proceeder, but in fact is easy to do and works very well. try it on a scrap strip first to see the huge change that can be made. Frank

Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Master

I too peen the lock when the Ti wears over the years. I find it works well and it also helps for those moments the initial cut or file was just off a hair. I also use punches when you need to nudge it a little. If it is too much, it is more appropriate to cut a new liner.

I'm happy to read that Frank tapers the lock bar for bolster/detent clearance. I think it is an elegant way and it's done well for my gent's folders.

Tags
blade, knife, knives