MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Hall of Famer

One of two things will happen with that approach. One, is that you will realize that you are in a bit over your head and start asking for advice on these boards and, hopefully, get some books on the subject. The other is that you will become frustrated and quit. Stumbling around blind and screwing up because you haven't a clue is not my idea of having fun. In the 6-8 years that I've been on these boards I've seen too many who have thought that they could wing it and figure out what's going on. Usually, there are about a half dozen posts from them and then they disappear.

Doug

Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honed View Post
I appreciate the offer but no, i have to do this alone. Its all the fun saying i did it with no help.
I started making knives at age 14. This was before the internet was around so I couldn't simply log on to find info. There were no makers near me that I knew of. So I taught myself. I struggled for years and most of that struggle was from lack of information.

Being "self taught" can be a badge of pride, but it really isn't the smartest way to do things. Sometimes you pick up bad habits while teaching yourself then they can haunt you. For example til this day I grind in the horizontal position using only my right hand because thats the way I learned and I have been too lazy to retrain myself even though vertical grinding using both hands is the way to go.

You are already doing the smart thing by asking for info on the forums. Getting together with a maker just gives you a readily available source of compiled info right in front of you. Its the same thing as asking online smiths for info, just more efficient. Its a lot easier to correct mistakes in person. For example I get a fair amount of questions about how to do hamon lines from people having trouble. If I was there in person it would only take a minute to point out where the process is going wrong, but with so many variables trying to sort it out online can really be frustrating to the person learning.

Either way, have fun and don't be afraid to ask for help!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Sort of like changing tires on a dump truck with cresent wrench and a rubber mallet. Sure you can do it, I had to once......but you can be very sure I will never do it again!
We are not being mean here or trying to dissuade you from the adventure, just trying to steer you into a more satisfying and rewarding experience.

No internet Aube?!?! How'd we do it? When I started making knives, keypunching cards was all the new rage technology, Fortran was the language to learn, and a "portable" calculator was a slide rule or required handtrucks. Not sure I want to go back to that........doing calculus on a slide rule really sucked!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Skilled

Honed...Your response reminds me of a quote: Never argue with a fool...he'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Now Ed, a little harsh there. Benefit of the doubt and all that....sometimes people make fast entries here without thinking through all the possible ramifications of what they're saying ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Steel Addict

Plus, Honed mentioned he was only 17. I think it's great that a young man is interested in exploring the knifemaking art on his own. Nothing wrong with asking for help or finding someone to mentor or teach you, but there's also a certain fun in discovering things for yourself.

Good on ya, Honed, and keep on exploring. Just keep an open mind and take advantage of all the experience and sage council on this forum. There's a lot of help and wisdom here when you decide you need it.

Jim T
Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Enthusiast

First off, welcome to the forums! You will be able to find a lot of the information that you are looking for right here. Ive only been making knives a few years and I started out just like you, with files and leaf springs. However I didn't really start learning a lot about what I should be doing until I came here and started reading. If you just keep browsing the site for information you will get a clearer picture of what you can do with what your given and how you can improve what your doing already. Definitely take the experts advice on here and get some known steel eventually. Until then, just have fun learning with the steel that you have! Use it to experiment with, and see what feels best for you. There is nothing wrong with just grinding out some blanks from scrap to see what you can make. I have made several really great knives like this this and have learned how to handle the steel safely in the process. Just keep it up and you will eventually make a piece you will be proud to show off. I hope to see some of your work posted on here soon!

Tags
1095, art, auto, bee, blade, common, design, diamond, edge, files, forged, forging, grinding, hand, heat treat, knife, knifemaker, knives, lawn mower, made, make, pattern, post, steel, supply