MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Burr king bounceing

I have a burr king belt grinder that I bought 20 yrs ago used and its always been smooth, I haven't used it much the last 5 yrs and started back recently grinding a few blade and its developed a bounce in it I pulled the wheels off and ran it and it does it without belt or wheels attached, not as bad but its there, so I pulled the pulleys off and ran just the motor and I still feel it so I think its in the motor, my question is can the motor be fixed like bearings changed out? its a general electric 1 hp 1750rpm, thinking I may take it apart and look, any suggestions?
Gary
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Skilled

qll...The bearings in the motor can be replaced. If the motor was running satifactory when you last used it, it's unlikely that the bearings are the problem. Bearings do not typically go bad on equipment that is not being run. Try just letting the motor run for awhile and see if simply "exercising" it will cure the problem. Capacitors are more likely to go bad during periods of not being used. If you have a way to oil the bearings it could help since it's possible that any lube could have dried and be contributing to the problem. You might also try heating the shaft with a propane torch. If the lube has dried or gotten stiff, that could help revive it. If none of this works, dissassemble it and check out the bearings. It's all doable, but with a single phase motor, the centrifugal switch can cause you to seek alcoholic relief before you can get it back in place. Three phase motors are easier.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks Ed
I changed out the bearings and it was so simple it scared me, so of course it didn't fix the issue, the motor seems pretty good but when I got it back together it still bounces, maybe not as much, thinking it may be the bearing on the grinder, probably a little from all of them. thanks for you input !
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

Had the same problem with one of mine?.it was the drive belt, changed it out and all was fine, of course it could be a wheel, either the grinding wheel or and idler wheel. Check those out and see if that helps.

John I.

Last edited by John I Shore; 03-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Master

When you say "bouncing" is the motor maintaining constant RPM? Is this a balance issue with an out of round contact wheel or abrasive belt?

If the motor has sat for long periods the armature may have pitted due to lack of use. This will cause the motor to run in spurts if the pitting is bad. You can remove the brush and inspect the armature and manually turning the wheel to verify that the copper contact is clean.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Mike's observation sounds most likely culprit to me, sense you said you could still feel it in the motor after replacing the bearings. Some auto alternator shops will trouble shoot your motor for a small fee and redress your armature and replace the brushes. Cheaper than a new motor.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
auto, back, bee, blade, grinding, knife, simple