MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-02-2003, 10:12 PM

Dugdale and Skiff knives

Most of you guys know I did a photo shoot at the last NCCA show the week after Blade. I ran around like crazy doing photo stuff. But..... in my total of about 15 minutes inside the actual show (over the course of two days!), I managed to score a few for myself.

The first one stopped me dead in my tracks as I was handing out flyers. I have been envisioning a large see-through pivot design for a folder for a while. Along comes Dan Dugdale. Now many of you will look at this folder and say "####, that's a copy of Gerber's 'Chameleon'!" Well almost, but it's the other way around. Dan patented and sold the rights to Gerber for this unique design. (I was completely unfamiliar with the Chameleon knife until he told me his story. So this REALLY piqued my interest!). But read on....

The 2 3/4" blade is D2 and the flipper action is perfectly smooth, with dead-center closing. The finger hole is smooth and FUN! It has a spring-loaded button lock, and for this model the entire knife is machined from a *single* billet of 6061 aluminum, and hard-anodized. Now, here is what really impressed me: This knife smacks of CNC programming work. Nope, nada. Dan says the entire knife was made and machined without any programming or CNC help. Just a standard milling machine, rotary table, etc. It takes him a good while to get these done.

His newer models have a two-piece frame. I didn't want them. I wanted this slick integral!

I like kooky stuff as well as the traditional, and this is sure a bit nutty! Dan has no email or computer. Can you believe that? Another of the untold many that are NOT part of our internet world. Crazy.

Ok, next was a thoroughly delightful fixed blade that is about as traditional as they come. Steve Skiff and his wife Kim are regulars at the small shows up in our area. Steve does folders, too. Hopefully these guys will make their way into larger venues soon.

I saw how beautiful this tapered-tang cocobola hunter was and I commented, that if it hadn't found a buyer by the end of the show, it was going home with me. Well, the next day--'come to poppa'! (The price was VERY reasonable: well less than $200) The fit and finish is flawless, and I mean FLAWLESS! Steve sends each knife home in bubble plastic wrap and inside a tidy hardboard box. These guys know quality. Again, no website that I am aware of. (OAL 7 1/4" of 154CM) 'Skiff Made Blades ~ Handcrafted in the Adirondacks'

Both are totally Custom knives. If anyone wants more contact info give me a shout. I had a great weekend, too!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Skilled

Hi Coop- These are both very nice looking knives. The Skiff fixed blade sounds as if it was a great buy. It's always hard to tell from a photo, but the finish on both of them looks great to me. The Dugdale folder IS very different design wise, which I enjoy too. Looks like it's built like a tank. A pair of nice new ones for your collection no doubt. Regards, Rich..(great photos too... )
Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Very nice knives, both of them. Great images too! Well done ...

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Master

I love that little folder, one of the most original knives I have seen.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:09 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I've seen the Gerber version, and for some reason I've never liked it. The custom version is pretty cool, though.

I really love the Skiff. That little knife is simple perfection. There's nothing really outrageously different about it, but the execution looks flawless. The filework is great, the blade finish is wonderful, I love the dovetailed bolsters, and the handle material is beautiful.

Nice score, Coop!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 07-03-2003, 01:31 PM

Wow... I think I found my favorite handle material... That skiff is very nice. That's exactly how I want the handle material on my knives to look. Great knife... You should try to get the skiff guy on here, I would like to see some more of his knives.

Abbadon
Old 07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Skilled

Steve is not a real comfortable typist but he makes a hell of a knife! I recently picked up a rather unique folder from him which I will post later. His prices are quite reasonable and he and his wife Kim are super nice folks.

Thanks for the nice pics and writeups Coop!

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Registered

Wink Thank you to all

Much thanks to Coop for the great pics and kind words. Also to Peter Attwood for his comments. Both of you guys are super!
Its really great to have a guy take superior pictures at affordable prices. I also admire Peters work and the time he devotes to the knifemaking realm. It is a real pleasure to know both of these gentlemen. I will try to devote more time to this site as it is a great site. I do visit this site regularly to read what others have to say but rarely do I post. And yes, Peter, Kim is still typing for me
Old 07-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome steve. that is (as already said) a well executed knife. simple elegance - my favorite!
thanx for the show, jim. couple more nice additions to an already enviable collection.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Registered

Wayne - Thank you for the support and nice words! I have tried other "designs" but find myself returning to classic detailing as Simplistic is more appealing to me as well.

I am finding quite a few very nice folks on these pages and wish I had more time to devote to reading all the information on these pages! I have used this forum a few times for the great tutorials and found many valuable ideas. Thanks to all who make this forum what it is!

Steve

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives