MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Guru

How do you sharpen your knives???

Ok guys so I am curious how does every one sharpen there knives??? I learned on flat stones and then when I shattered $1000 worth of glass/ceramic stones I found the edge pro system wich is one of the best things out there in my opinion any way...but I have tried mAny things including the electric machines using my kmg on a slack belt the a buffing wheel to get rid of the burr. I just got those cardboard wheels that have carbide on one and rouge on the other (haven't played with it yet tho...) anyway there are a million ways out there and I thought it would be a good topic I bet we all could learn different techniques from each other so what do ya use? how do you rate compared to others? any tips for the rest of us?
Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

I sharpen my knifes with Japanese waterstones. I do have one 600 gritt natural stone. I use this for new knifes or knifes with a chip in the blade. A very big heavy stone it is. Besides that I use a King stone 1000/6000. It's fairly soft. I do have to flatten it often. After flattening I make sure to dull the edges; if I don't I will dig into the stone during sharpening. I like the feedback that this soft stone gives me. Although I will buy harder stones soon. At this point I can do with a little less feedback (I will find out soon). Advantage will be less lapping time to get the stones flat. Also faster results. I like to have a higher grit also. Probably 10000 of 12000. I feel like I earned a new stone by using them on a regular basis.

Even after many years I am still learning. I recently found out that a narrow blade gives me the perception of a small angle when I hold it against the stone. In other words: I must hold a narrow blade at a smaller angle than I plan for at first sight.
On the other hand: With a broad knife, the back of the blade climbs more and makes the angle more detectable: A little tilting of the bevel means a lot increase in distance between the back of the blade and the stone.

Using a marker on the bevel must be one of the best tips for a beginner I reckon

One thing that still remains hard for me is keeping the point of the blade as sharp as possible....
Old 08-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Guru

I will start with a 400 grit belt.

That is just to get the initial edge on there. Then I use a big medium EZE Lap diamond steel on a block I've had since 2002 to form my edge precisely where I want it. Depending on use I'll give it a few swipes on a hard Arkansas stone and that's that. If I get someone who insists on a full on razor edge then I strop it on 5000 grit diamond compound on leather.
A razor's edge is for wood carving or leather, not for knife work, I put a working edge on my knives especially kitchen and skinners, but the customer is always right even when he's wrong. By the way, a razor edge isn't hair popping off your arm, it's shaving your beard sharp, my medium diamond will cause some hair to pop and the Arkansas adds to it, but I can't shave my face with it.

I like the guy who told me HOW to sharpen a knife! Said I had to use a figure 8 to sharpen a knife, something I don't do unless it is really bad, but that's what the belt sander's for. I swipe across the stone as if I were slicing an apple at about 15 degrees and never backwards as backwards leaves a burr.

Oh I hold the stone in my left hand and give it a twirl, the twirl is for the tip to keep it pointed. It's just how I learned. Yes I have cut myself a time or two which is why I don't sharpen knives after a few beers.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-06-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Tags
angle, arrow, art, beginner, belt, bevel, blade, buy, diamond, edge, flat, hand, japanese, knife, knives, leather, make, sharpening, small, stone, tips, wheels