MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Skilled

Renaissance Stiletto

Here is a little stiletto I just finished. Forged from 1/2 inch W1 drill rod, turned brass guard and pommel. The grip is cocobolo, stacked leather and brass. It's polished to a mirror fisnish since this is definitely a wall-hanger. Although it's sharp, it's kinda useless as a knife - unless you plan on stabbing someone...

As always, your comments are well appreciated!
Thanks!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Hall of Famer

That is outstanding work, Chris. I love what you did with the handle. Is the dark and bright metalic diagonal bands enlay or did you cut the glued stack of leather spacers on a diagonal and glue in the other spacer material?

Just to be picky, picky, picky, that's a double edged dagger not a stilleto. A stilleto has an a narrow blade triagular or diamond shape in cross section. Basically a fancy ice pick and is a stabbing weapon only.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Skilled

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that a stiletto was basically any fixed blade designed for stabbing rather than cutting. Yes, dagger is the word that comes to mind first. Stiletto sounds more exotic...
The grip is laminated leather and brass, and yes, I did laminate the leather first, cut it i n half on a diagonal and then laminated the layers of brass and blue leather in between. I wantred to experiment with grip materials other than wood. I like the combination of different textures and colors. I think I will do that more often. Thanks for your reply.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer

That is great work. The handle is amazing.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Steel Addict

I like it! I really like how you did the band in the middle of the handle.
I do however have concerns on something like that on a real heavy user. As too the separation of the leather stack after it has time to dry out some. Perhaps pining the stack horizontally would ensure the separation problem.
But darn it, I really do love the effect. That is definitely thinking different as I don't believe I have every seen one quite like that! It definitely sets off the entire handle of the dagger.
You have definitely lit the light bulb in my head!!!!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention how great the symmetrical shape of the blade looks. It is not and easy grind to pull off! Overall I would have to give it a

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 09-13-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still new at this, and all of your support is very much appreciated. The symmetry on a doulbe-edged weapon is a special challenge as I have learned, but a good learning tool. I'm all stoked about making another one. - About the separation concerns: I have never worked with leather like this before, so I can't say, but do you think if the layers are glued together, and sealed with a good wax the leather will still shrink over time? I could imagine if the leather got wet, or exposed to the elements that it might come apart, but this is not really a practical knife (I hope not!). If I were to make this kind of handle for a hunter, I would have to soak the leather in an epoxy or polyesther resin. Something to think about. your idea of pinning it horizontally - how would that work? Two steel pins (Stainless steel wire perhaps?) running parallel to the tang? Let me know your suggestions, as this is definitely only the beginning.
Thanks again.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada

Tags
blade, brass, fixed blade, forged, guard, hunting knife, knife, knives, pins, stainless steel, tang