MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Steel Addict

Side project for soon to be father-in-law

He gave me this hatchet to fix up, he's had it for 40yrs and it was like this when he got it. No idea what type of steel.

After a couple of hours of hand sanding and WD40....

Ray I know you hinted at some ideas during the chat room before I had to log off, any recommendations on where I should go from here? already looking online for some hickory.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

From what you were saying that seems to be about the look you were going for. But, if the picture is fooling me by making the sanded parts look grey when they might actually be shiny then I would wash it with FeCl (circuit board etchant, some Radio Shacks still have it) and that will turn it a dull gray and also help prevent rusting. No FeCl then get some white vinegar at the grocery store.

If you can't find hickory locally you could check eBay - lots of wood sold there. If there is no hickory to be had then go for maple. You can rub some brown dye or stain into the maple and make it look like the wood on the old Kentucky black powder rifles .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Steel Addict

Sounds like a plan. I'll look for some FeCl, since I'm guessing it will work better than vinegar? How long do I leave it in for?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The 'how long' part has to be played by ear as it will depend on the strength of the solution of FeCl that you find, the room temperature, and the alloy of that steel. Basically though, not long. Probably best to put it in for 15 - 30 seconds then take it out and rinse it off, see how it looks. If it isn't dark enough to suit you, do it again.

FeCl isn't 'better' than vinegar. It is more aggressive and will give a darker finish faster but that isn't always a good thing. The color you get from the vinegar is likely to be a lighter gray...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM

I like using hot vinegar. I will leave a blade in for about a minute at a time. Take it out and washe the black oxide off with very fine steel wool. Then put it back in. I repeat this process until I get the desired darkness. I too made a knife for my father in law before me and his daughter got married. He liked it and still uses it 5 years later!

Tags
back, blade, hand, hot, knife, made, make, making, maple, powder, project, recommendations, sanding, steel, wood