MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:20 PM
BenMcDaniel

heat treating...

tell me honestly, is it something i can do myself, or should i seek help?

0-1 tool steel, 1/4 inch

furnaces at work are no longer available. So all i have is a propane torch that you can buy at the hard ware store... is this enough?

TIA,
Ben
Old 01-09-2002, 09:50 PM
RWClark

You will not be able to reach 1500degF with propane. You might be able to with the little Oxy/Mapp rigs that places like Home Depot sell. I think they are about $25-$30. But you only get enough Oxy for about five minutes when running full open. The best way without a forge is Oxy/Acetylene. The cheapest rig I have seen new is about $250 from Home Depot. On average a full size pro rig will run around $450+. But I have seen alot of Regulators on Ebay, check them out. The regs are the most costly part.

Do yourself a favor and contact the Texas Knifemakers Association. You will find more than enough guys that would be happy to help you out.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:24 PM
BenMcDaniel

thanks RW,
the oxy/mapp rigs are $50 at home depot, looked at them today. the label claims that it will reach 5800 degrees.

i did a test a few minutes ago, and I believe you are right, that small propane torch is not quite enough to do the job...

I will be calling Mr. Osborn, as soon as i get off work at a decent hour...

i have a oxy/acytlene torch, hoses, and regulators, just havent had the money for the bottles yet....

what about a large propane cooker? I've melted lead with it before, dunno what the melting point of lead is though...

Thanks for the help,
Ben

Old 01-10-2002, 02:57 PM
C L Wilkins

Heat treat

Ben,
This is something that you can do yourself. We will have to get together, possibly in February, if you are willing to wait. Give me a call.

Craig
Old 01-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Joe Walters

yep

Learn to do it yourself, you'll gain a much better understanding of your steel and won't have to take anyone else's word for how the heat-treating went.

You can get away using the torch if you have a small blade and some kaowool or insulwool (make a miniforge). You can also use kingsford charcoal and fan the coals til they're the right temp. Just coat the blade with a thin layer of clay or mud (just a wash) to keep the impurities out. Kingsford is pretty consistant and hits 1500 quite easily. There's quite a few websites that have how-to's and tips on heat-treating on the low-tech.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Will From Bama

Re: yep

:cool: Pssssst, Ben

;hat 2 words

Neo Tribal.... Neo Tribal.... Neo Tribal..... :

Will
Legionaire for Pax America
Old 01-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Bob Warner

Ben,

I looked at a map and see you are near Beaumont. Too bad it is so far from Dallas or you could come to my place (Still can if you want).

What are the chances of you borrowing an oxy/aetylene from a friend for a day?

The bottom line is that you have to get the steel hot enough to go a little past critical. If you can do that yourself, there is no reason to look for help.

For the cost of one of the smaller torch setups, you could just build a forge. If you are interested in that, I can assist.

If you have reason to come to Dallas, my shop is open for you, just let me know. We can heat treat your knives, build a forge or just play with the fire.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:35 PM
BenMcDaniel

Thank you Bob, that means alot, and the next time I am in that part of the country, I'll look you up. I could be there in about 5 hours( depending on how often i get pulled over, : : Mustang 5.0, retired police car, my other hobby )after I make a few more knives, and I decide that this is something that I am going to pursue fully, then I will most definatly enlist your help in building a forge. I have a couple of sources that might pan out, for heat treating ( Mr. Wilkins being one of them ) And I know someone with a torch, looking into that...

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Ben
Old 01-11-2002, 03:43 PM
C L Wilkins

HT

Ben,
In this post it points to a link that is the very basic way of heat treating. This would work on your O-1 although the tempering temperatures would be a little different. Its "basically" what we would do.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...=480.topic

Craig

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives