MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-20-2001, 04:15 PM
Bob Warner

Photos posted for Jeff Sanders

Here are the photos that Jeff wanted posted. Enjoy.

Old 12-20-2001, 04:53 PM
The Flaming Blade

Thanks Bob and Jeff. I just finished these up a few days ago. That top one has a 1065 blade with intergal guard. The fittings are silver and electrum. The handle is ironwood. The bottom ones have file finished 5160 blades. Handles are cactus skeketon with wire wraping, filled with epoxy. The sheaths, made by Hawk, are rawhide.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:04 PM
Don Cowles

Beautiful pieces, Tai!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:34 PM
primos

Oh man Tai, that top one's bad to the bone. Beautiful stuff all the way around.

I gotta show my ignorance -- what's electrum?
Old 12-20-2001, 06:40 PM
The Flaming Blade

Electrum, if I spelled it right, is a generic term for silver/gold alloys. It's like a low karat green gold. I used it on the twisted band just in front of the ferrule. The wood handle is carved down and fits through, or up into, all the fittings for strength.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:02 PM
ghostdog

Very awesome Tai, and like Terry sez, that top one is baaaaad to the b-b-b-bone.

Hey Bob thanks for helping them guys out.

ghostdog

Old 12-21-2001, 01:08 AM
AchimW

Unbelievable knives....

.....they are! The big one is just one beautiful piece of art. I especially like the sculpted handle. And the beer bottle opener at the end of the guard!

Achim
Old 12-21-2001, 08:11 AM
Sweany

HMMMM

Sex, art and evoulution all rolled into one

I gotta go bang my head on the forge.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:06 AM
Cactusforge

Re: HMMMM

Interesting very interesting what a work of art. Gib
Old 12-21-2001, 09:10 AM
The Flaming Blade

Re: HMMMM

Thanks guys I plan on doing some more along the line of the top one. I have some wootz to play with, and want to take some of the concepts a few steps further. Stay tuned.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:15 AM
prizzim

This is what makes me want to be a better knifemaker. Well done, Tai. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:21 AM
The Flaming Blade

I almost forgot. These knives are all for sale. Taigoo@webtv.net
Old 12-21-2001, 11:53 AM
Raymond Richard

Re: Photo's posted

Tai, Finally had the patients for the photo's to come up, glad I did. Really, really nice and well done! On your smaller blades are you starting out with an hexagone shape or are you totally forging that too. I like the rawhide, its like an organic kendex except better. Ray
Old 12-21-2001, 12:16 PM
The Flaming Blade

Re: Photo's posted

I start with a piece of round coil spring. The first thing I do is forge it octagonal, which is a nice logical cross section to start with anyway. Usually it's more of a square or rectangle with the corners knocked in a bit. Since the corners on square stock are thin, they tend to heat up faster, and can overheat if you're not carefull. I also find it easier to control the form with the corners knocked in a bit.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:41 PM
The Flaming Blade

Food for thought

The main concepts of the fighter were as follows: Repetition of form, process markings, and construction without butt seams. In the design, I repeated the basic "flame" form throughout the knife. This helps give the piece continuity of form. I did a scale drawing first. The hard part was figuring out how much steel it would take, and the exact shape of the blank. I pulled it off with only aprox. 10% stock reduction, done primarily by hand. It came out virtually identical to the drawing. I wanted to leave clues to every step of the overall process. The form of the blade itself really suggests forging, as it would be impractical to do through stock reduction. I left file marks on the guard/ricasso area, and sanding marks on the clip. The blade has a 600 grit, etched, satin finish, and the fittings are mirror polished with handrubbed markings. The temper line shows that clay was used in the hardening of the blade. The sharp undercuts in the handle can only be done with very fine palm chisels. I wanted to show all that handwork. Lastly I wanted to avoid any butt seams in the assembly/construction. So every piece interlocks with the next. The wood of the handle fits through the ferrule and electrum band, and up into the butt piece and blade collar. It is 13 and 1/2 inches overall. The price is $2,150. Taigoo@webtv.net

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives