MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Skilled

What are you using to grind? Do you have a torch? There is a third option for you. A good high quality file is already heat treated so that takes out that part other than a trip in the oven to reduce the hardness to whats needed for a knife. You just have to grind them in the hardened state and keep them cool.
After that if you are heat treating yourself L-6 or 15n20 are going to be very forgiving also 1084. I'm not even listing 5160 because I don't think you can get some that's already run thin, most of the time it's sold in thicker sections for forging.
The other steels should be left for a heat treater. I wouldn't suggest messing with them yet. What site are you using, Admiral is cheap but their stuff doesn't come annealed. For the stock removal guy that means headaches.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
What are you using to grind? Do you have a torch? There is a third option for you. A good high quality file is already heat treated so that takes out that part other than a trip in the oven to reduce the hardness to whats needed for a knife. You just have to grind them in the hardened state and keep them cool.
After that if you are heat treating yourself L-6 or 15n20 are going to be very forgiving also 1084. I'm not even listing 5160 because I don't think you can get some that's already run thin, most of the time it's sold in thicker sections for forging.
The other steels should be left for a heat treater. I wouldn't suggest messing with them yet. What site are you using, Admiral is cheap but their stuff doesn't come annealed. For the stock removal guy that means headaches.
Jantz is the site i plan to use. They have the 15n20 dirt cheap. I am using a belt sander for my grinding.I do have torches, 2 in fact one propane the other Map gas. I will be doing the heat treat in my coffee can forge. As far as the 5160 goes :5160 High Carbon Steel 1/4" (.262") x 1 1/2" x 18" 1/4 inch i can handle i like a knife with some heft to it. I also like the thinner knives like would come from the 15n20. Thinner also makes for easier heat treating!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It's not a matter of what I would pick, its what you can get a good heat treat on. You're trying so hard to cut corners you're shooting yourself in the foot as the old saying goes. Some of those steels are cheap to buy but might be expensive to HT. If the site you're ordering from only has 1095 then try another site. There is a Sticky at the top of the forum listing sources for 1084. Get 1084 if you will HT it yourself, otherwise get the 440C as it can be had in any size for reasonable cost and it can be HTed for less than just about anything else if you plan to send it out.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
It's not a matter of what I would pick, its what you can get a good heat treat on. You're trying so hard to cut corners you're shooting yourself in the foot as the old saying goes. Some of those steels are cheap to buy but might be expensive to HT. If the site you're ordering from only has 1095 then try another site. There is a Sticky at the top of the forum listing sources for 1084. Get 1084 if you will HT it yourself, otherwise get the 440C as it can be had in any size for reasonable cost and it can be HTed for less than just about anything else if you plan to send it out.....

Now that the coffee can forge is all dried out i can get steel to non-magnetic easily. I am also going to be building a larger forge out of a barrel and ill be using a 20lb tank and weed burner to power it. Or the burner from my deep fryer, not sure yet lol.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Why are you building a larger forge if you can already get a blade to non-mag? If you do need to build a larger forge don't build it much larger as the cost of building it, fueling it, the time it takes to heat it, etc all get larger with it. Unless you plan to forge something larger than a blade you don't need a huge forge.

So, you can now reach non-mag and that's good. Next trick, you need to learn when you have reached non-mag without going more than 100 degrees beyond ....

Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Why are you building a larger forge if you can already get a blade to non-mag? If you do need to build a larger forge don't build it much larger as the cost of building it, fueling it, the time it takes to heat it, etc all get larger with it. Unless you plan to forge something larger than a blade you don't need a huge forge.

So, you can now reach non-mag and that's good. Next trick, you need to learn when you have reached non-mag without going more than 100 degrees beyond ....

I should have included more detail, i can get SMALL knives to non-magnetic but the coffee can forge is so small that anything over 4 inches or so doesnt fit! So i want to build the larger forge so that i can make larger knives and also melt my cans into liquid for ingots.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Ingots? Interesting. What for?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ingots? Interesting. What for?
to sell, i sell the cans to a recycling center and lugging 8+ bags of cans is annoying to say the least, this way i can just take ingots out and sell them.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Clever. Hopefully you'll be doing this in a very well ventilated area. Tin cans contain zinc if I'm not mistaken. Heated zinc creates a gas that you definitely do not want to be breathing...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Clever. Hopefully you'll be doing this in a very well ventilated area. Tin cans contain zinc if I'm not mistaken. Heated zinc creates a gas that you definitely do not want to be breathing...
Oh yes garage with big and little doors open no worries, my problem now is if i want to use my 150,000 btu gas burner to fire it or do i buy one of the big weed burners to fire it, i can get the weed burner for like 23 bucks.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Skilled

how much do you get per. lb for the cans?

you can knock off probably 75% of that by spending the time and propane melting them.

why mot just stomp on the can to make it flat.... toss it in a bag... move on to spending time practicing knife work.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Toss in cost of transport and time involved......not going to break even.
But, if you just got to do it go ahead.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post
how much do you get per. lb for the cans?

you can knock off probably 75% of that by spending the time and propane melting them.

why mot just stomp on the can to make it flat.... toss it in a bag... move on to spending time practicing knife work.
Either way still want to build a bigger forge lol

Tags
art, axe, beginner, blade, case, design, edge, forge, grind, grinding, hand, heat, heat treat, hunter, jig, knife, knives, material, pine, sell, sharp, sharpening, show, small, whittle