MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Steel Addict

Question Acraglas....how much?

So I just got my package of acraglas in the mail today. I was reading over the instructions on mixing it. The smallest amount that they instruct you how to make is a total of 1 1/4 oz. looking at the container that seems like a lot of epoxy for a knife handle. So my first question is how much epoxy do you guys use on a typical knife? Second, if 1 1/4 is to much, can you split the amounts in half and use it? Acraglas isn't super expensive but I also don't wanna waste it. The big bottles were on back order so I ended up buying their smaller kit. Beggers can't be choosers!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Skilled

I am still working out how much to make without waste. But it really doesn't take a lot to epoxy up a handle. What i found works best is to take a sandwich bag flip it inside out scoop out what looks like an even amount of both hardener and resin and put on the bag. once you are sure the amounts are about the same flip the bag right side in, and work them together. I always work them into a corner of the bag, cut an end and squeeze out the epoxy.

Once you mix up your first batch you will get a really good idea of how much of each you will need for the second knife depending how full the bag is when your done. When you dial it in you have almost no waste as you squeeze out the epoxy like a tube of toothpaste

I have never had an issue mixing it 1 to 1 by eye, if anything i always use just a little more hardener than resin.

Last edited by jdale; 04-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

One of those packages can do four or five full tang knives (more or less depending on liners, size, etc). Go to your local feed store or veterinarian supply - or maybe a pharmacy - and buy some syringes. I buy the 6ml and the 2ml sizes but anything close to those is fine. Use them to suck up the two parts of the Acraglas in the 1:4 ratio and squirt them into the mixing cup. The syringes can be cleaned with acetone and reused many times. You don't need to buy needles for them. If you use more hardener than that the epoxy will set up much faster than it should.

For a 5" handle with no liners or just one liner I mix 1.5ml of hardener to 6ml of resin. Start with that and then figure out what works for you and your knives. Be sure to mix the two parts constantly for the entire 4 minutes just as the instructions recommend and everything should work out properly ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-18-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys. I just wanted an idea of how much to use and about how many knives that'll do. Looks like I better get syringe shopping this weekend!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Master

I get those wax ketchup cups and mix with popsicle sticks. I weigh mine. They say not to but screw them. 1:3.7 ratio by weight, and I make sure its room temp. If you can get syringes though that might be better.

I use about 1/8-1/4g hardener and appropriate resin for each side of a full tang
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Skilled

Ah, I see everyone is talking about the original acargas. My usage and method of mixing was with the gel version. Has anyone used both versions of the epoxy, if so which one is easier to work with?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Yes, and we generally find the gel is not suitable for knives. Or, at least, not as suitable as the regular formula...

Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Yes, and we generally find the gel is not suitable for knives. Or, at least, not as suitable as the regular formula...
How not suitable? Should I be worried about all the knives I have handled with the gel?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
So I just got my package of acraglas in the mail today. I was reading over the instructions on mixing it. The smallest amount that they instruct you how to make is a total of 1 1/4 oz. looking at the container that seems like a lot of epoxy for a knife handle. So my first question is how much epoxy do you guys use on a typical knife? Second, if 1 1/4 is to much, can you split the amounts in half and use it? Acraglas isn't super expensive but I also don't wanna waste it. The big bottles were on back order so I ended up buying their smaller kit. Beggers can't be choosers!
An easy way to measure out smaller amounts is to squeeze out 4 equal lines of resin side-by-side onto a scrap piece of cardboard. Then squeeze 1 line of hardener of the same size along side of them and mix thoroughly. If you are careful then you will get the proper 4-1 mix in any amount that you will need.

Save the cardboard that you used for mixing until you are sure that it has hardened completely. The epoxy left over on the cardboard is an excellant double-check that all has hardened correctly. (Remember that Acraglas needs to be kept warm in order to set correctly.) You can usually work it after 4 hours but it will continue to cure for 24-48 hours.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Mulkey; 04-19-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM

All I can be sure of is that everyone I've seen post on the subject of the gel eventually switched to the regular formula. I think that the big issue is that the gel is thick and won't flow well. That won't matter much on full tang knives but is very important on stick tangs and stub tangs. The pot time on the gel could be shorter and it might not set up as strong as the other but even if that turns out to be true I doubt you need to worry about the knives you have already done. I would strongly suggest that you try the regular formula before you invest a lot of money in the large bottles of the gel ...

Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the responses guys. Lots of different methods n I might try them all. I believe I read a post once where Ed Caffery said not to use the gel. That was the reason I bought the regular. I have a feeling he just might know what he's talking about and Rays post just backed it up.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Guru

I have never used the gel and have no first hand experience to draw upon but even the regular resin will vary in viscosity due to temperature. If you ever find that it is too thick you can thin it by heating. Just be careful. If you overheat it, you get to start over.

Gary

Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I think that the big issue is that the gel is thick and won't flow well. That won't matter much on full tang knives but is very important on stick tangs and stub tangs. The pot time on the gel could be shorter and it might not set up as strong as the other but even if that turns out to be true I doubt you need to worry about the knives you have already done.
Well that's a slight relief, I will have to invest in the original formulation then. I have never seen large bottles of it, where do you get it from?

As my interest is now peaked, also to settle my mind about the durability of my knives I will pick up a box of the non gel and do a little head to head testing.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Steel Addict

The small kit I got was from Cheaper than dirt. It was the best price I found. It's even cheaper than brownell's site. But all the big bottles are on back order.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Skilled

I heard all the hype about Acraglas so I ordered some. I just got a small kit in myself and it looks like it will be a bit more messy to use than any tubed epoxy. Both resin and hardener are in small wide-mouth white plastic jars and a third jar contains a release agent (for bedding rifle actions).

Basically I will attempt to pour out a set amount of resin into a mixing container and then a set amount of hardener at the recommended 4:1 ration of resin to hardener. I use the cut-off bottoms of beer or soda cans. I was going to do this on my digital kitchen scale to get precise. I just have to figure how much I need at one time to avoid waste. I also wonder if the release agent left over would be good to wipe on the bolster fronts/scale fronts/ricasso area to avoid excess epoxy from sticking permanently in those areas once it sets up. Similar to the vaseline trick Ed Caffrey uses? Don't want to waste the stuff.

It sounds like the benefits of Acraglas outweigh the inconvenient packing system. I will see soon enough.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
art, back, blade, brass, digital, easy, epoxy, fixed blade, full tang, hand, handle, how to, kit, knife, knife handle, knives, make, package, plastic, post, resin, store, supply, tang, wax