MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 07-11-2001, 08:50 PM
Gordo62

416 SS problems

Using 416 SS for a guard on a bowie. Cut hole for tang. Drilled for pin, Bent guard as desired, toughest stuff I ever saw. Ran guard thru belts, 120,400 A30,A16,A6, there is not a scratch. Put it on the buffer and I start to see deep down in what looks like 60 grit marks. Try to buff some more and metal begins to ripple(using green compound). Go back and start over through the belts get the same good finish, this time I go to white compound, soft wheel, light touch same thing begins to happen. What's going on? How do you work this stuff????????????????????????

Made another guard out of 304 SS and can get a finish but this stuff works harder than the 416 SS.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:02 PM
BCB27

Gordo,

Welcome to the forums. Buffing after the A6 should go pretty easy if all the deep scratches are out. I use Green Chrome followed by No Scratch Pink, but the white will work fine, too. The rippled effect is caused by overbuffing. What size buff are you using and at what speed? It sounds like some of the deep scratches were not all the way out, as you mentioned. Try to change the direction of the belt (or paper) when you are sanding, if possible. This will let you know when all the previous scratches are out.

Brett
Old 07-12-2001, 08:15 AM
dogman

I use 416 exclusively on all my bolsters and I never have a problem. Are you heat treating it before you work it? I think even after heat treat (if anyone is inclined to do it) the Rockwell is only in the 43-45 range. I don't know what is it normally.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:36 AM
Don Cowles

I think the "overbuffing" mentioned above is the likely culprit. I have found hand sanding through at least 800 grit, followed by a very *light* buffing with no-scratch pink compound leaves a ripple-free polish. If you are bearing down with your buffer, don't.