MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 04-07-2001, 04:38 PM
LPowell

Spike Composition

Hey Guys:

I finally was able (after not less than 4 or 5 emails and several hours of research on the internet) to come up with the following definitive answer to the one question we have all been wanting to get the answer to: What is the composition of rail track spikes? Here is the response I got from Sheffield Steel:

Larry,

HC does mean the spike is high carbon. The AREA spec. for making high carbon spikes only specifies that the carbon content of the steel be a minimum of 0.30 percent. We specify a carbon range of 0.30 to 0.35 percent for the high carbon material that we use.

If there is no HC mark on the head, then the spike should be low carbon. The AREA spec. for low carbon only specifies a minimum carbon of 0.06 percent. Obviously the specification is not going to give you much of a clue as to the true composition of the steel in any particular spike.

Both grades of spikes have to meet a bend test that is fairly severe. Because of that bend test requirement, I doubt that you will see any spikes with a carbon content higher than 0.35.

There is also a mark on the head of the spike that identifies the manufacturer. Our spikes are identified by a W. Additional markings that you may see are CU. CU means the steel is copper bearing, with a minimum copper content of 0.20 percent.

Hope this information helps.

Dwain Marple

I hope this is helpful to some of you. I have never done any forging, but after having read Tim Lively's how-to on the Tutorial page regarding building your own forge (get this...from a washtub!!! My sincere thanks to Tim and all who are so willing to share their experience and knowledge.)...I'm *mighty* tempted to give it a whirl. Here is a link to Sheffield Steel's site: sheffieldsteel.com Again, I hope this helps someone.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:28 PM
Dana Acker

Re: Spike Composition

Thanks Larry. So, a high carbon spike is in reality, at best a medium carbon steel. Hats off to Sheffield for supplying the info, and to you for taking your time to dig it up. Very helpful.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:25 PM
LPowell

Spikes

Dana,
No problem...I actually rather enjoyed the challenge of the dig. Maybe someone could answer a question for me. It may seem basic to some of you with forging experience, but please keep in mind that about as close as I have ever been to a forge is my TV set. I am wondering how long it might take to hammer a spike down into a workable size for making a knife through the forging process?
Larry
Old 04-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Dana Acker

Re: Spikes

Don't mean to sound evasive, but there's a lot of "depends" when it comes to judging the time. If you have an adequate forge which gets yor piece "sunrise orange" you should be able to forge the blade out to something workable in a couple of hours. That's a guesstimate. Skill level and appropriate tools have a lot to do with it. I forge for the most part with a 5 pound hammer. When I first got started I was using a 2 pound hammer. I can forge one faster with a five pounder, as I can move more metal with each lick.

Where are you located, Larry? Perhaps there's a smith within driving distance who can help you out. That can shave off a bunch of time--having someone around who can keep you on target and away from pitfalls.
Old 04-08-2001, 06:22 PM
LPowell

Smith in my area...?

Dana,
Thanks for the input. I can see where bigger would be better when it comes to which hammer to use. I envy all you guys who are already forge-capable. Sounds like a real kick. With regard to where I am, I live in Houston and I am sure that there are at least a few 'smiths within driving distance. And, if they are anything like everyone I've had the pleasure of dealing with in this forum, I am sure they'd be happy to offer me plenty of pointers and advice. All you guys have been just great and I appreciate the time everyone takes from their personal time to offer their help. Time is the one thing we can't get more of. We can get more money, more material things, and I am sure we could all name off a list of replaceable things to acquire, but, without a doubt, time does *not* fall into that category. So for all you people who give your time so willingly and so freely...I sincerely *applaud* you.
Larry
Old 04-08-2001, 09:52 PM
primos

Re: Smith in my area...?

Larry,
You did good on the research. We appreciate it. Your CKD all the way man. Here's a spike knife I did about 2 years ago. Sorry, the picture is crappy. It's from my old digital camera, which wasn't much good.

The spike was marked HC, but it didn't harden fully in an oil quench. I reheated and quenched in water and it worked out okay.

Now I understand why. The RR spike guys may consider .35 to be high carbon, but in knife steels .40 is at the bottom range of medium carbon, and anything under that is low carbon.

If I recall correctly, I spent about 45 minutes at the forge on this one.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:36 PM
LPowell

More spike info...

Ok, folks,
Here is another response I got from an email I sent out. It was a bit different in nature than the other, but I was asking more specific questions; the main one being how to achieve a 58-60 Rockwell 'C' scale hardness.

Mr. Powell
There are two common grades of track spikes specified. "Soft Steel" and
"High Carbon" types are defined by the "American Railway Engineering and
Maintenance of Way Association" (AREMA formerly AREA). Both are plain
carbon carbon steel with no other significant alloys added. The soft carbon
variety have a carbon of .12% minimum and tensile strength of 55,000 psi.
The "High Carbon" variety is .3% minimum carbon and 70,000 psi tensile (less
than Rc 10).
The ones with "HC" or "HCX" at are the "High Carbon" variety. They are
required to have "HC" stamped on the head. Any other letters you see are
probably the identification of the manufacturer. Soft steel spikes are
marked with he manufacture's ID only. The railroads specs also have some
requirements for elongation and bend tests that tend to focus on ductility,
so the carbon will never be significantly higher than the minimum. I am
afraid the chances of heat treating this steel to Rc 58-60 are slim. .3%
carbon is not normally considered heat treatable. A case hardening treatment
might be possible for what you need.
We don't manufacture this kind of spike. They tend to be imported at very
low price. Our products are round parts, usually with threads. There are a
few domestic manufactures. They might be persuaded to make a few parts with
an alternate material. Their idea of a small quantity they would do would
probably be a lot more than you want.

Tim Austin
Lewis Bolt & Nut

This man went into a bit more detail which may be of help to some of you who are already forge-capable. At any rate I think we have pretty well established the basic specs for rail spikes. I do, however, disagree a bit with his suggesting that hardening the spikes would be a slim chance. I know none of you guys (ladies, please don't take offense to the gender thing...no offense intended) would even bother with making a knife from a spike if it wasn't "hardenable" (<---is that a word??). Does anyone with a spike knife have access to a Rockwell tester? I am curious how far from being right about it this guy actually is. I, for one, would like to know.
Larry
BTW:
Terry,
Nice looking piece! Pic was just fine. I hope to do that well when I get to finally give it a whirl. Can't wait...seems like it'll be a blast.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:40 AM
Dana Acker

Re: More spike info...

Larry, while I cannot speak for everyone, for the most part, I believe RR spike knives are pretty much just novelties. They make nice curios, around the shop string and box cutters, dirt diggers, hammers, vegetable choppers, and pry bars, etc. But I have never met a soul carrying a knife for using (for any application--cleaning under fingernails, to gutting a deer, to wire stripping to combat) who carried a RR spike knife. Even if the steel was high carbon by knife steel standards and fully hardenable (I don't know if that is a word either, but I like it) not many people would carry them (in my opinion.) They are neat, but clunky, and usually not well balanced. They're fun to make and give us some diversion in our forging, and people love to receive them as gifts. And although not as hardenable as other steels, they can be quite functional within limits. After all, our ancestors evolved just fine using copper, then bronze, then crude iron implements. I'd bet if we could travel through time, back to the bronze age, and take a bunch of RR spike knives and hatchets with us, we could name our price. They'd probably think they were the finest things since sliced bread. Come to think of it, you might have to take sliced bread too, I don't think they had that then either.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:56 PM
LPowell

Novelties

Dana,
I am in complete agreement with you. I know *I* wouldn't carry or choose one as my favorite knife (*except* for purely sentimental reasons possibly). I do think, though that they might be hardenable beyond what they start at. Might be that that is just my lack of experience with regard to what actaully takes place in the forging process ( I'm starting to like that word "forging" the more I use it )As far as reaching 58-60 Rockwell, apparently I may stand corrected. At any rate I would still be curious to find out from someone firsthand who can test one. I'd almost be willing to bet that after forged, the blade would be tested around 50-52 Rockwell, and, if not, then at the lowest 45 or so. Who knows? We might all be surprised by the outcome of a test on one.
Larry

BTW:
Guys and Gals,
I have had alot of enjoyment in this forum over the past few weeks and obviously with this particular topic. Thank you all for your patience with it and your input.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:10 PM
Don Cowles

Re: Novelties

Larry- when you get one forged and think you have a winner, send it to me and I'll do a hardness test on it.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:25 PM
LPowell

Kind offer, Don...

Don,
I appreciate the offer, but I have access to one at work. I will, however send Ya the results *and* post a pic here when I do get one made. Might be a while, but I intend to do whatever it takes to become "forge-capable" (<---I'm starting to like the sound of that word combination whether its proper or not! ).
Larry
BTW:
Anyone have a guess as to why my last post up there shows me to be an unregistered user??

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives