MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Steel Addict

Propylene Results:

Guys, a week ago when I was out bothering ED at his shop I transported out a #30 cylinder of gas for testing with his forge. I knew that he had a temp probe installed and was used to its operation. As a backup, I took a calibrated digital meter and probe to check temps with. We fired the forge and checked with propane. Ed said that on a good day it would achive 2100 degrees. (no blower). Results were as stated. Ed installed the #30 cylinder of propylene and we fired the forge. First thing we noticed was the forge was more white in color than orange/yellow. The temp quickly went to 2487 degrees and Ed quickly pulled the probe before we managed to melt the end off it. We spent quite a bit of time using it to forge out some 52100 over the next several days. It seemed to burn cleaner and a lot hotter than propane. Now that I'm back home I just placed the tank on a digital scale and there is still well over a 1/2 tank of fuel. The nice thing I noticed was that the tank did'nt frost up even with a full flow of gas to the forge. I hope that when Ed gets home from the Hammer-in he will jump in and give us his thoughts on the test. Merle Rush
Old 05-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Living Legend

That is pretty cool and I am going to have to try it. I have used MAPP and propylene torches to solder aluminum but never in the forge yet. Just not having the tank freeze is enough of a reason to use it.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Steel Addict

My forge

I just tried it with my own small forge. The forge has been set up not to exceed 2100 degrees with 3 1/2 pounds pressure of propane and 65 cfm air flow from a fan. We just achieved 2500+ degrees at 3 1/2 psi gas and 65cfm air flow. I dont know where it will stop temp wise--- it was still going when the end of my temp probe melted. In my area the gas prices are about the same as propane. Merle.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Living Legend

I just priced switching to MAPP/propylene/chemtane. You can't use a regular propane tank so a new 8 ga high pres. tank is $97. It would be another $58 to fill it. These prices were quoted by a welding store and it may be a bit cheaper if I shop around a bit.

Considering I can fill a 10 ga propane tank for $16-20 I may have to wait awhile to switch over.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Steel Addict

Tank?

Around here, the gas supplier supplies the tank rent free as long as you get the gas through them. Merle.

www.rushknives.com
Old 05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Merle, Now if I'm reading the first post right he was just running a venturi style burner? If thats the case that is pretty darn impressive. What pressure were you running? I'll have to check with the outfit I get my oxy/acd and see if they carry it. Here you have to buy the bottles and just exchange them for full and I bet its the same way for the propylene if they do carry it. I'll check into it once I get out of the garage and into a new shop when ever that happens. Are the fittings the same or do they have to change?

Old 05-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Steel Addict

Raymond, The fittings are the same as propane. Ed used same reg. and I believe he set it to #6 pressure. It was the same as he was running on the propane line. It truly impressed me. All we could see is white hot liner in his forge. . Merle

www.rushknives.com

Tags
forge