MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Steel Addict

Question on HT Results

Hi All,

I completed my first Ht this weekend. I did four blades, 2 were 5160, 2 were 1080. All four came out of the Ht looking like damascus, by that I mean they are etched as they come out of the fire .I'm not sure how this happened. Too much air? It's a nice look, but are the blades affected? they don't seem to be. They pass the brass rod test, and hold an edge well (in fact, the RC seems to be way up there, as they really resist a 400 grit belt. Lots of sparks). Anyway, can someone explain how I got this look on a plain steel blade, and what it means?)

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Guru

Dave, did they resist the belt even after tempering? I'm not sure what you mean by them being etched, but almost every one of my plain steel knives comes out of the quench with a pattern of some sort on it. It maybe be air pockets in the quench medium or it could be a division between the soft and hard parts of the steel, if you did a differential HT or it could be overheating. Usually you can decide if you want to polish that out or etch it in further. If you want to polish it out then I would go lower than 400 first, maybe 220 and then work back up.

Then again, I might be misunderstanding what you're talking about or I might not have any clue. Maybe a couple of pictures will help others that have some answers.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Steel Addict

I go back to a 80 grit belt after heat treat and grind the blade to final thickness, then finish. I want that surface skin off my blades after HT.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

Cap and Don,

First, thanks for your replies. Cap, I didn't know that all blades have a sort of pattern of them when they come out of the guench. I don't think I overheated them, I watched it pretty closely. I did do a differential quench, but the pattern is on the entire blade. Don, I think you ae probably right here, i could easily grind the pattern off I think. As for these blades, I think I'll etch them with ferric and see how they look.

Oh, and Cap, the blade does resist the belt even after tempering, so I may have them too hard???

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Guru

I'd try it with a file, it might be hard to tell with the belt. I just wanted to be sure that the blade was tempered before it went to the belt. If a file can't touch it at all then it might be a bit hard. If you're not sure then it won't hurt things to temper again. I would check the oven temp with a thermometer or use some clean scrap 1080 to figure out the temp with oxide colours, if you just used the oven dial you might have been a bit cooler than you thought.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
blade, knife, knives