MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > Knives For Sale - Custom

Knives For Sale - Custom Custom Knives for Sale (All Styles). These knives are offered by the individual sellers.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Registered

Rook looking for value on a large collection.

Hello All.

I just joined the knife network forums today.

My primary purpose for joining is to determine the value of my grandfather's knife collection, and then sell it to an interested party for a fair price as a single lot. All proceeds go to grandma.

While I do collect knives, my grandfather was a blade connoisseur of a much higher caliber. He was an active sportsman, fisherman, firearms expert, and antique dealer for almost his entire life. He collected anything unique, original, or well made until the day he departed, and was well loved by his entire family.

I did my best to sort the knives into groups that seemed appropriate. I have closely examined all of the remaining knives in his collection and carefully noted all of my grandfathers price tag notes, makers mark, hallmark, personal name, and important manufacturing / construction detail to the best of my ability. I know that the fourth grouping of knives and sheaths isn't worth much. Occasionally there are desirable elements, but the entire pile is probably worth less than $50 on a good day.

I want to stress that my grandfather was an antique vendor who operated small booths and worked gun shows actively. His notes and prices are only ballpark sticker prices. He rarely bought items that he wouldn't mind having around his home if they didn't sell. I want to sell this entire group of blades to one person who will treasure and enjoy his collection - for a fair price. I'll take whatever feedback you kind souls are willing to give. My hope is that the collection ends up going to someone on this forum who helps me determine a value that most agree upon.

One other note on a specific knife. Grandpa was a huge fan of the American knifemaker Richard Scagel. He bought, sold, and marveled at the superb quality of other peoples collections that contained examples of his work. He even had a book about the man and his knives in his personal collection. I don't know where the book came from, but I do know that at one point in his earlier years, he drove the book out to the author's house and had him sign it. He and the author became friends, and stayed in contact until Harry's passing.

One knife that was found in a different spot away from the rest of the collection with other treasured items was marked "Scagel Knife" in Grandpa's writing on a piece of scrap paper. No price, and no other information. It appears to have an antler, bone, or ivory handle. There are no hallmarks, and it appears to be crudely constructed compared to the majority of other examples I have seen. While the rivets are thick brass and the blade is decent steel, my thought is that this is either an extremely early piece of his, or a tool that was only made for gritty workshop purposes, or not his work at all. If anyone thinks this piece is worth more exploration, or has another similar example of his work - great...maybe it is worth a piddly amount. If not - we will probably just keep it in the family collection along with the book for sentimental value.

Much gratitude to anyone who can shine some light on the approximate value of this collection. Also included is random brickabrack and some notes / business cards found along with this collection.

Here is a link to the image gallery.

http://postimg.org/gallery/3heq7po6a/

Tags
antique, antler, blade, blades, bone, book, brass, fisherman, gun, handle, home, image, ivory, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, makers, rivets, sell, sheaths, small, steel, workshop