MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Living Legend

It's Offical, A New Chapter Will Be Pending Spring Of 2015

Hello all,

As some of you know I am getting up in years. Approaching that 20 year point on the Reserves. Funny thing with the Reserves is your Inactive time counts toward High Year Tenure (HYT), 22 years for E6 and 24 for E7. Now you aren't allowed to take the exam for E7 if you have 21 years and 1 day before the exam as you would not be able to make the 3 year minimum for putting on Chief (E7). I took my last (and first) E7 exam this past spring. While out on my latest Training I got the word, didn't make the cut.

So what this means is that next year I will hit HYT in August. From there I will have to do 3 months in the Virtual Training Unit (VTU) without pay to get my 20 since I have 2 years and 3 months of inactive time. Probably another 3 to make sure no one screwed up the math and if I have a retirement ceremony I won't be making my in-laws travel from the North Country on New York in the winter, never a fun time to travel.

So next year will be my last Annual Training as I can't do them in VTU. Working with my unit to do a fun one for my last hoorah. They seem to be open to it. Thinking maybe the USS Constitution in Feb. St Patrick's Day is a Friday...

After that it is on to the end. Maybe a ceremony, maybe not. will see when it gets closer.

Than I become a free agent again. Bouncing a few things in my head for now. I joined the military partially to make a difference. Now that's hardly the only place I can and I am far from dead to stop. Of course I have been around Masons most of my life and I've been let know that there maybe a place for me if I were to ask the right questions. There are of course many Vet's organizations that I can work for. Quite a list when you get down to it.

Am I going to miss the Navy, yes; am I going to be sad that I will no longer serve, of course; am I disappointed I didn't make the "khakis", big time; but now is a time for a new chapter, new lessons and new places to serve.

Jim

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Skilled

Jim, Thank You for your service.

I wish you great success in your future endeavors! I also hope you find fulfillment in your new chapters. I've personally found that God has put me where he needs me, even though I didn't see it at the time. Later on, in retrospect, I've been blessed to see a few of the lives my actions have touched. That has given me hope, and drive for the future - a thirst for that next adventure.

Thank You for what you've done as a veteran, and for what you will do...

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
bee, make, making, military