MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Warning ~ Bowie Content

For those who are interested in 'historical inspiration' and are not tired of or put off by the whole Bowie knife thing - this one is for you.

Jim Batson has spent a long time and a lot of energy learning about and being inspired by the era of Jim Bowie - the specific history of the Bowie legend and all manner of related phenomenon. His book on the subject is a 'must' for anyone interested in the topic. Beyond this, Jim's bladesmithing, knife and hawk making etc. shows the inspiration he's drawn from all that he's learned over the years. This is one example and, in my humble opinion, is a great example of 'historical inspiration.'

Here's the original L. Kimball/Vicksburg knife that sold at auction in 1992 for $44,000. This image comes from the original Butterfield & Butterfield auction catalog.

And this is Jim Batson's re-creation of the original. It's as powerful a reproduction as I've ever experienced. Pictures just don't convey the feeling that Jim's L. Kimball repro is alive with history - the smell, the sounds and everything. Maybe I've just lost my mind and am hallucinating this. Or maybe Jim has tapped into something powerful. Wish I could say it more clearly. At any rate, I hope you enjoy these two images.

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 04-14-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for this Buddy! I love Bowie info. The original is probably close to me right now, I'm only 71 miles due West of the Alamo, so who knows! Are you the proud owner of Mr. Batson's re-creation? Is there a plunge line in the ricasso area (not the clip)? It appears that the blade just fades into a silver ferrel just before the guard.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

But it doesn't look like the one in the movie!
(Ouch!!! I just couldn't resist that one!!)

In Texas, we're never far from the Alamo.

Great pics, Buddy!

Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack
But it doesn't look like the one in the movie!
(Ouch!!! I just couldn't resist that one!!)

In Texas, we're never far from the Alamo.

Great pics, Buddy!
Right! But TexasJack, I live between the actual San Antonio Alamo, and the Bracketville Alamo, where John Wayne filmed his movie in 59 or 60. So the real thing is within reach more than likely. I do have a sad story about finding a knife, that I may tell one of these day, just to get it off of my chest. But now right now I litterly get sick when I think about it.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-14-2005, 04:43 AM

Here's another image of the knife.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed this one. Robert, you're right about the blade and yes, it's mine.

Jim had it on his table down at Tannehill Iron Works during the 'show' part of the weekend bladesmithing symposium. Several people were looking at this knife pretty seriously but nobody stepped up. On Sunday morning I got to talking to Jim about it - and asked him if I could buy it. He seemed really pleased. I think he just wanted it to go to someone who shared a bit of his curiosity and interest in the history side of it.

Anyway, he pointed out that he'd used techniques very likely used by the man who made the original and other makers of that time. Many of those techniques are not written down anywhere but Jim has figured them out. He seems to have a knack for that.

He showed me how he'd balanced the knife, just like the original. It's incredibly fast and light in hand. Jim said, "You can tell this knife (both his repro and the original) was made for one thing and one thing only." In other words, it's a fighting knife - light, fast, sleek and deadly! When you pick it up - you know - it's obvious and you can feel it.

That's why I think it's special and that Jim's managed to tap into the reality of those days long ago. To me this knife doesn't feel like just a modern reproduction - it's the real thing - it's as if it IS the original. Sounds odd, I know, but this is the first time I've experienced such a reaction to a knife! :confused:

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 04-14-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:11 AM

I posted this image over in the review of the Batson Symposium but it fits here as well. These are three of Jim's historical reproductions, including the Kimball Bowie. He's into it! I love that naval officer's sword - mokume no less!

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 04-14-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Those are just incredible! Thanks for the pictures! I have two Bowie books, one called "The antique Bowie Knife Book" by Adams, Voyles, and Moss (this one cost me a bit!), and the 2nd is "The Bowie Knife" by Norm Flayderman. I'm obsessed (posessed?) with this style. I also have been collecting old Bowie photos on the net and saving them. I have hundreds of pictures, and I'll have to settle for just that, hundreds of pictures. But, I enjoy looking at them, especially photos of actual men of the period wearing the knives. I have several current Bowies in my safe, I'll photo some soon, however they don't hold a candle to what you have here Buddy. Sure appreciate your generosity!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Robert, the Brackettville "Alamo" totally slipped my mind!

Year before last, I managed to scrape up a few bucks and get away from a pile of stress for a few days. I paid for a few days of hunting at a pretty wild little place just down the road from that Hollywood Alamo. I wanted to stop, but was just too tired (and smelly after a few days of hunting). Came home empty handed - because of some uncooperative weather - but with much lower blood pressure. Between here and there, I drove past a place selling mesquite rocking chairs. Didn't dawn on me until 10 miles down the road that it was probably your place. I guess it was just as well I didn't stop - woulda driven off your customers - but I was bothered that I didn't stop to see the two best places west of the real Alamo.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey! Dang, I wish you would have stopped! You better next time. I've been in that building for 23 years, and will be there another 23 good Lord willing, so you'll have another chance. I don't care what you smell like, I'll stand upwind! Seriously, anyone is welcome in my shop, either the woodworking part, or the knifemaking part. I have no shop secrets, and will willingly share info with anyone. Also, next time you should see the Bracketville "Alamo", it's pretty neat.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Skilled

"To me this knife doesn't feel like just a modern reproduction - it's the real thing - it's as if it IS the original. Sounds odd, I know, but this is the first time I've experienced such a reaction to a knife! "

That is an awsome way to feel Buddy. Congrats on a fine addition to your collection, and thanks for sharing the pics. Jim is a real nice fella.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"

Tags
blade, knife, knives