MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Skilled

Bench Blocks

I posted this elsewhere but I thought it would be interesting to see what folks here had to say about it...

I could not function without them. I have used a piece of hard maple with numerous holes drilled in it for hammering pins and such for a long time. It always sits on my bench to my left and gets used constantly.

Over at the drill press I have a chunk of heavy aluminum channel stock also drilled with tons of holes. I can always find some combination of them to ensure that my knife is sitting flat despite pivot pins and other protruberances. It comes in very handy for clamping since the work piece is up off the drill press table.

I just picked up a thick round Delrin bench block from Brownells. It has a groove on one side to hold gun barrels. I can't wait to start drilling and customizing it although I suspect I will use the non grooved side more. Wish it was a little bigger in diameter but I think it will do nicely anyway.

Wouldn't mind having a thick square or rectangular chunk of tool steel as well. Something really flat with a high grade finish would come in handy at times when a little adjusting is called for.

Just curious what others have used. Any special materials or shapes?

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 02-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Peter, I use a block of cold rolled steel as a bench block, with shallow holes drilled in it for pins.

On the drill press, I use a flipped over machined and ground cast iron V-block (available from Enco in pairs for about $10) with a 1/4" hole drilled near one edge. It is dead flat, and square with the drill bit- I couldn't live without it for drilling holes in knife tangs.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Skilled

Re: Bench Blocks

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterAtwood

Wouldn't mind having a thick square or rectangular chunk of tool steel as well. Something really flat with a high grade finish would come in handy at times when a little adjusting is called for.

Just curious what others have used. Any special materials or shapes?
Peter, I have some nice thick 2" and 1" steel plate if you want it. Are you going to the show in East Windsor this coming Sunday? I can give it to you there, or maybe drop it off?

Shoot me an email, bro.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

If using a drill press, you MUST feed carbide extremely slow. You can force a steel bit, but not carbide. The reason I use a Dremel, by hand, is that it reduces chatter, and cushions any bounce of the bit, which will cause them to break. Remember to use a starter punch, too. I use the Dremel on the slowest speed so, speed is really not a factor.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Steel Addict

I must have 15 1-2-3 blocks on the bench and drill press I use all the time for drilling and punching. There’s also a couple blocks of 2” micarta I picked up at a knife show a few years back that I have machined flat and square.

Erik

Old 12-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Guru

Good old 123 blocks.

I have 4 and I like that they can bolt together, but I have some small angle blocks too. I have found them quite handy in knife making same as I did in precision welding. I use my angle for making my drill press base 90 degrees to a 8 inch drill blank. I have stepped degree angle blocks for any degree holes I want.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:51 PM

Great response. i have used it before

Tags
a, angle, back, blade, ca, drill, fac, fixed, flat, hand, knife, knife making, knife show, making, micarta, press, repair, show, small, steel, tool, welding