MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Skilled

Damascus with scrimshaw

This is a "random pattern" can-welded damascus blade I made a while ago. It's an experiment. The random pattern also meant random warping! took some time to get it straight again, but it worked. The steel is 1095, nickel, broken hacksaw blades, drill bits and a bit of mild steel...
The grip is bone, with my first attempt at scrimshaw. The motif is based on a 17th century woodcut, and the story behind it is such:
In 1633, at the height of the Thirty Years' War, troops of the Hapsburg emperor Ferdinand II attacked my home town and burnt it to the ground. My ancestors had already been citizens of this town for more than 200 years, and undoubtedly suffered and died in the attack. I know this to be true because 50 years ago my grandmother found a document in the town's archives from that time when the town clerk took an inventory of the citizens' arms. the document states that one "Matthias Kluftinger owns a halbert, a sword and a shield" and another "a lance and helmet". Not much to ward off the imperial hordes...The coat of arms on the back is my family's. This one goes on the wall for "future reference" for my kids...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Skilled

That is very cool, I would be interested in more detail on the process you used to make the blade.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Nice Chris....need to do more scrim work. Bone is more difficult than good ivory, very good job!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

Holy s**t Chris! That's awesome. The scrim is very interesting to me...maybe I'll try one day.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Master

nicely done Chris, interesting read as well

Rob
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Skilled

Did you say first attempt at Scrim???? That thing is mighty purdy! I enjoyed reading about the history too! I want to try scrim, but I haven't yet. What type of tool did you use or did you make your own. I bought several dental type picks at harbor freight.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Skilled

Excellent!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:22 AM

Just curious Chris, guard and pommel.....WI?

Anthony - scribes are about the simplest tool to make. You ought to have plenty of hi-carb steel scrap around the shop to make them from. Heattreat just like a knife blade just don't draw the temper quite as high (so the tip will be a bit harder).
I make/sell a lot of these, just can't throw good steel away.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 04-11-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Steel Addict

Wow! Like all of your work, Chris, hugely impressive! The scrim turned out great, the damascus is beautiful, handle, guard and pommel are of work of art. Congrats! That's a real keeper!

Jim T
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Thanks, so much for your kind comments. I'm kinda so-so on the results. The blade turned out good, after straightening, and the bone was easier to work with than I thought (smelly, though). The scrimshaw was tough. Bone was probably the wrong medium to try as a "first". It's hard, and the pores make the scribe get stuck and then you're off in the wrong direction, doh!... I practised on a piece of PVC pipe (wrong! - way too easy!), then a scrap of bone to see how the paint would penetrate, and how the sealant would keep the rest of the bone from getting stained. When I started on the actual thing I immediately thought "Bullocks! Should have stuck to stick men and cave art first time round..." Well, too late. Eventually I plan on doing one depicting the battle of Trafalgar. Oh, yeah. I set my aim high...

Carl, those scribes of yours are works of art in themselves! I used the awl from my sheathmaking kit. It worked pretty good. made my hand cramp up pretty quick, though. I think I need something with a very short, sharp point so I can hold it like a pen. I'm working on it... Oh, and the guard and pommel are 1010 etched with Ferric Chloride.

Ricky, I'm putting together a series of pictures for a friend who wants to know how the can-welding works. I'll post them in a few days. Quite easy, really.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada

Last edited by ckluftinger; 12-17-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Chris
If you ever get a piece of hippo ivory to scrim it will ruin you. Smoothest there is in my book. I selftaught on old piano keys and still use them for inlay work. Any ivory is better than bone or horn as both have grain/pore issues. You did really well on the bone, especially since you added the extra problem incurred with compound curved surfaces. Nothing to shake a stick at.
A lot of the folks that buy my scribes add those cushiony little sleeves made for pencils and pens or that stretchy gause tape the doc's use. Really helps not to have to deal with finger cramps enough issues as it is. I HT and draw the temper a bit "low" so the tip will be harder than a knife blade, then pull the rest of the shaft above the taper to soft with a torch. They are quite popular with scrimmers and woodworkers. (make neat throwing darts if you get bored, but hard on doors)

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Skilled

Thanks, Carl. The suggestion of the pencil cushion is great. I'm going to get some more awl blades and set them into a hardwood handle, like a pen. I definitely want to try more scrim. fresh out of hippo ivory though... Other than in Africa, where do you get it from?? I'm hoping to find a piece of walrus tusk or a whale bone or something like that for my next big project

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Got lucky way back when, and bought a dozen hippo teeth when they weren't all that popular (when the Blade Show first came to GA. Only got a couple left. Pretty pricey now when you can find them. Extreme enamel bark on them that's tough to get off, but the ivory is buttery smooth, similar to walrus teeth. Wally tusk are good, if you can get it, get it.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Hi Chris,
to your work, I can only say "hats off" a great job and also the story behind it is very interesting ....

Unfortunately, I was recently very little suffered in the forum and also my hobby has the last few weeks including, but after Christmas I will find a little more time.
I was just Sheats that I post but still.

Since I have on call the next day, I wish you and your family a happy and merry Christmas.
Greets from Bavaria
Andi

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Skilled

Nice to hear from you, Andy. Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing Christmas. It's snowing like crazy today (not very often this happens down here on the coast), and it looks like we're in for a white Christmas...

Carl, I will keep my eyes open for any ivory I can find - along with maple burl, old forging tools, anvils, files, tool steel, antique saw blades, antler, tree stumps, truck springs, railroad spikes...
Oh man, I need a warehouse!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada

Tags
1095, art, awesome, back, bee, blade, chris, christmas, coat, damascus, damascus blade, drill, guard, handle, hobby, home, ivory, knife, made, make, make your own, pattern, scrimshaw, steel, temper