MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 PM
Registered

Bevel Grinding Question

Hi, new knife maker here from Oklahoma

I've started working on several blades, straight up hand grinding and honestly, getting pretty good at it. Symmetry is still an issue, but I'm improving and learning something new every time I grind one out. Anyways, of all the resources I've found I can't get a answer to a very important question:

When I'm grinding, do I leave a small "flat space" on the blade edge so it doesn't flake off in heat-treatment?

In other words: Do I grind it to "sharpness" or leave a .06 inch flat edge to the knife?

I cant seem to find any resource that explicitly states to do so. I've heard mixed opinions about this on youtube videos, but I don't understand why you would or would not leave a flat edge.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by PKnive; 03-31-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome.

Most guys refer to leaving a dime as to the thickness of the flat after rough grinding is done and before heat treat. It does depend a little on the size of the blade your grinding. A large to medium hunter, leave the dime. If your making folders like I do, I leave about half that. You grind too thin befor heat treAting and it can lead to cracking or warping on the edge of the blade.

Erik
Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Steel Addict

High carbon to be heat treated is as cnccutter said. Stainless you can take down to .0010 and heat treat.

Check out theknifegroup of Oklahoma to find makers in your area or contact me via email from site. Mike Miller

It helps to fill out your profile information so we can direct you to someone in your area for help.

Last edited by argel55; 04-01-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post
Welcome.

Most guys refer to leaving a dime as to the thickness of the flat after rough grinding is done and before heat treat. It does depend a little on the size of the blade your grinding. A large to medium hunter, leave the dime. If your making folders like I do, I leave about half that. You grind too thin befor heat treAting and it can lead to cracking or warping on the edge of the blade.

Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by argel55 View Post
High carbon to be heat treated is as cnccutter said. Stainless you can take down to .0010 and heat treat.

Check out theknifegroup of Oklahoma to find makers in your area or contact me via email from site. Mike Miller

It helps to fill out your profile information so we can direct you to someone in your area for help.

Thanks for the input

It's a fairly large knife so I'll leave the thickness I have on the edge.

So when I put the final edge on the knife, is this something I do with the grinder (after heat treat and temper)? Or will I do this as the last step, part of the sharpening process (with a hone or whetstone)?

Cheers

Last edited by PKnive; 04-01-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sharpening the knife is the very last step! Never work on a sharpened blade....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Sharpening the knife is the very last step! Never work on a sharpened blade....
Well, I understand that, but am I removing the flat edge after temper? Not necessarily sharpening the blade, just removing the excess flatness.

Maybe this is a bad idea due to heat build-up? Which could Potentially ruin the temper.

I dunno, I'm new to this. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The most common way it is done:
1. Profile the blade
2. Grind the primary bevel leaving the edge flat (dime thickness)
3. Heat treat the blade
4. Clean up the blade, finish grinding the bevel down to about .020 thickness, still flat but thinner, do the metal finishing
5. Attach handle and shape it OR shape the handle and then attach it
6. Etch your logo
7. Sharpen the blade

I prefer to profile, heat treat, and THEN grind the bevels. After that my process is as above. In either case, I start sharpening on the belt grinder until the edge is established and then finish by hand. Yes, you have to be careful about heat build up ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
The most common way it is done:
1. Profile the blade
2. Grind the primary bevel leaving the edge flat (dime thickness)
3. Heat treat the blade
4. Clean up the blade, finish grinding the bevel down to about .020 thickness, still flat but thinner, do the metal finishing
5. Attach handle and shape it OR shape the handle and then attach it
6. Etch your logo
7. Sharpen the blade

I prefer to profile, heat treat, and THEN grind the bevels. After that my process is as above. In either case, I start sharpening on the belt grinder until the edge is established and then finish by hand. Yes, you have to be careful about heat build up ...
Cheers Ray,

Thank you

Tags
beginner, bevel, blade, blades, carbon, edge, flat, grinding, hand, heat, heat treat, hunter, knife, knives, makers, making, new knife maker, sharp, sharpening, sharpness, small, stainless, tips