MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

can this be saved?

Hello all,
Well my first project came out ok... so I got a little more ambitious. This is .188 440 c. I am sending it off for HT so I don't need to worry about that. BUT... The best I can guess is that I somehow got a different angle going on each side and ground off the tip... I'm so sad :-(
Anyway... My plan is to re grind the back strap and blade side back to a point then try to fix the angle of the grind.. any help on this would be appreciated. And as always... Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0269.jpg (91.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0270.jpg (112.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0271.jpg (95.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0273.jpg (73.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Fixing the grinds on the sides (you didn't show both sides so I don't know what has to be fixed) is unrelated to fixing the tip. Wait until after the HT is finished and then grind the back of the blade down to the edge to restore the tip (you could raise the edge a tiny bit if you want to split the difference). The change should be so slight you can't tell it was ever done. You might as well wait until post-HT so that the HT process doesn't burn off the new tip.

After the tip is restored, regrind the side bevels as needed if you don't like them ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

What are you using to grind?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, as usual, thank you for the reply... I would have never thought about that.. that is what I will do is send out for HT then take down the back to the tip. NJStricker, I am using a 1x30 grinder with 120 grit ceramic belt. I have to get a vise and go to file for more experience in what does what to what and why ( that actually made sense to me... hope it does to anyone else.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

I made a jig that I am using , that may be part of the problem. this is the first time I used it and I am not sure if I started with the blade at the correct horizontal angle to the belt, and not sure if I have it set to the right vertical angle (approx 10 degrees)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0276.jpg (75.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's the problem with some jigs - it takes almost as much effort to learn to use them properly as it would to learn to grind free hand....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast

Ray, if everyone listened to everything you speak of on this forum, we could all save ourselves a lot of time , frusration, and money. but I think most newbies get ahead of themselves (me included) and think we can figure it out on the fly, or that wont happen to me... I need to go back and read most of your post (again) and slow things down. I really want to thank you for your time... I am beginning to wonder how you have the time to do anything else other then sit and answer newbie mistakes... I really can't say thank you enough.

Jay Z

Tags
angle, back, beginning, blade, edge, file, hand, jig, knife, made, post, project, strap, tiny