MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Steel Addict

Has anyone tried this?

I have been reading tons on grinders. Dont know if it would work, but on the 72'' Grizzly could you place a step down pulley on the buffer side run a 1HP with another step down pulley Its like using the Grizz motor just as a pillow block then the speed could be slowed down Ive seen other grinders with this configuration and they look to run well.

Just have to remember not to plug the Grizzly in.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, that's been done. As you said, don't plug it in ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Steel Addict

Ok now that makes it more appealing. I have all the tools to make that happen, just one more option before I pull the trigger.

I picked up a craftsman 2x42 cheap I'll play with that until I decide what I want. Thanks Ray
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Skilled

Just have to remember not to plug the Grizzly in.[/QUOTE]

You could wire the two motors through a double toggle switch which would prevent both motors from running at the same time. A simple three-position toggle (1-off-2) costs you less than ten bucks, I would imagine...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Do you already have the Grizzly? Or did you find one really cheap? Because I wonder about the economics of the approach.

A Grizzly is running about $500. You want to add a step pulley to slow it down, and use another motor to drive it.

Why not just spend a little more and get a Coote? There won't be a motor housing in the way (you won't get around that by the mod you plan for the Grizzly). You will still have variable speed with the step pulleys, and you have your choice of motor. You can flat grind or hollow grind. The 2x72 Coote with 8 inch contact wheel is listed on their website for $10 more than the Grizzly.

Or, if you are really concerned about costs (you still need to buy belts, don't forget), then check this old design from Rob Frink (maker of the KMG): http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/sander1/sander.html

A 4 inch drive wheel, 2 pillow blocks, drive shaft, and 2 step pulleys from Rob's shop are $182.50. A backstand idler from Jantz is $110. You can build a platen from some steel tubing and 2"x1/4" angle iron. You'll be at around $300 so you'll still have plenty to go buy a motor and belts. Yes, you'll need to build it and mount it on something. You'll only be able to flat grind or slack grind with this setup, but it will at least get you on your way if going the cheapest route is what you need to do.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Steel Addict

NJ, I purchased a craftsman 2x42 with 12 nice belts, I hacked this thing up the first day but it works well now this will let me fiddle while I firgure what to buy. I have a 1HP 1750, but after reading some more i think I may build a KMG clone style I have the ability and steel and tools. I'll hunt down a 1 1/2 HP ect. The onley part that knocks me in the head is the contact wheel nearly $300 for a 10 inch is steep I know Grizz has the 10 inch cheap not sure of the arbor size. still early for me I onley get a few hours a week to tinker anyway.
Thanks for the input
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Grizzly will likely be the cheapest option initially. From what I've read posted by others that have used that contact wheel, the hub is an odd size (metric) and is not keyed. You'd need to have a machine shop install bearings. Bruce Culbertson did a Goddard-style grinder with one a couple of years back. He posted the details over on Blade Forums.

Otherwise, check out Sunray wheels. They will make the wheels to your specifications, with bearing or keyed, and you can specify the durometer (hardness of the covering) and whether you want it crowned. They are a lot cheaper than the "pro" wheels and others have reported good success with them in past years.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawJacker View Post
NJ, I purchased a craftsman 2x42 with 12 nice belts, I hacked this thing up the first day but it works well now this will let me fiddle while I firgure what to buy. I have a 1HP 1750, but after reading some more i think I may build a KMG clone style I have the ability and steel and tools. I'll hunt down a 1 1/2 HP ect. The onley part that knocks me in the head is the contact wheel nearly $300 for a 10 inch is steep I know Grizz has the 10 inch cheap not sure of the arbor size. still early for me I onley get a few hours a week to tinker anyway.
Thanks for the input
If you're after a 1.5hp ac motor I would suggest hitting up local HVAC companies that do commercial installs and replacements. Some of the motors that come out of those units are beasts, I've had a couple from various units, the one that runs my lathe is a 1.25 hp @1500RPM, the one that runs my grinder is 1 hp @1350 RPM.

Usually when they replace an old HVAC unit they recycle the unit and get the price of the copper in the coils and not much more. Most I know of would be willing to make a trade or sell you a motor out of one for MUCH less than buying one new. The other nice thing is that these motors have very common parts and are easy to work on, fix, and replace.

Tags
angle, arbor, back, bee, blade, block, build, build it, coote, craftsman, design, easy, flat, flat grind, forge, hollow grind, iron, knife, make, mount, simple, steel, tools