MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Lightbulb New blade grinding jig

I have been using a jig that Chris Crawford uses in his slipjoint video for quite some time with good results. My only complaint about the jig was that with the use of only pins to anchor the blade it was hard to "fine tune" the angle of the blade in relation to the grinder and when grinding the second side it was hard to keep the blade flat on the jig.

This is my modified jig. I simply made a cam out of the same material that I use for my blades which is basically a circle that is drilled and tapped off center. I simply bolt the blade to the jig with one bolt through the pivot and the rotate the cam up and tighten the nut on it. Very quick and precise. The bolt on the back with the wing nut can then be adjusted for the grind angle. It really works pretty slick.

I will say that the only reason I am able to get a bolt through the pivot hole is the fact that I am using 3/16 bronze bushings with 3/32" holes for the pins like Tony Bose describes in his tutorial.

Just wanted to share this idea. I very much appreciate all of the people on this forum. I have learned an aweful lot over the years. Thanks also to Chris Crawford, his slipjoint video is absolutely priceless in the information he shares.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...1/ffe9c9fb.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...1/b48ec809.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...1/efb0be4f.jpg

Last edited by kcorn; 01-07-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Photos did not post
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Skilled

I would like to see this being used, hard for me to figure it just right...
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

I will try to post a short video. I don't even know if that is possible on the forum though.

Basically all you have to do is set the thumb screw to where it will hold the jig at an angle to the grinder (to allow the belt to only take away metal at the edge of the blade) and grind the edge to just outside the center line of the edge. You then turn the thumb screw (to set the jig and blade to a little more of a parallel position with belt) and grind a little more. This will cause the belt to bring the grind line down closer to the spine of the blade. You keep repeating the process until the grind line is at the correct location in relation to the spine. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. It is very quick and precise. I have been able to get much better transitions from the ricasso to the flat ground blade using this jig and it is very easy to make the two sides of the transition areas match.

I would highly recommend Chris Crawford's slipjoint video if you are interested in this jigs use. He lays it out all very simply there. The jig he uses is used the same way this one is. I have just made a few changes that hold the blade more securely and allow me to quickly fine tune the blade's orientation in relation to the belt.

Wordy but I hope it helps!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Skilled

I am on the west side near Jackson. I have a fully equipped shop but was so impressed with the tools I saw and just think a new drill press would be nice. I admit to being a tool nut, so what else is new...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Steel Addict

Hey kcorn, I know this is an old post, but I've just recently seen it. That is an AWESOME idea using the cam. I have the same frustrations that you experience. One issue that I have is that the pin gets vibrated loose while grinding and will tend to fall out. I'm going to try to build a jig like yours. You have definitely taken the jig that I made up to the next level.

One question... How did you get the cam piece so round?

Thanks for sharing. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Chris. Sorry for the slow reply. Haven't been on here in a while. I got the cam round by drilling a hole in a piece of steel and running a small screw through it onto the edge of a board. I clamped the board onto my grinder rest and turned the piece of metal while the grinder was on. Slowly move the block of wood closer to the belt until the metal is rounded. Hope that helps!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Skilled

This is a great idea and I would like to see specs to build on this way from the beginning. Awesome!

Tags
awesome, bee, beginning, blade, block, build, chris, crawford, edge, grinding, jig, knife, made, material, pins, pivot, post, steel, wood