MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

I'm stuck here, can you help? (stock removal)

Hello forumers,

Been watching and learning for a while, and taking lots of information on board. I'm half way into my first knife project and I've hit a bit of a rut, a very simple one i'm sure but just after some advise.

I've left too much stock on the (cutting) edge of my blank, so now the knife is heat treated and good and hard, I'm having a lot of trouble taking off the extra stock. I left it there so the blade's edge wood be tougher during its treatment, but I totally over did it.

I'm hand filing using a very crude jig, but it's been really working. Obviously now files don't bite much. What do I proceed with? coarse emery paper? even that seems slow going.

(electricity is against the rules for this project, btw)

Predictively appreciative of all your help.

Best,
Nick
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Steel Addict

With the thick edge, you're pretty much done if electricity isn't allowed. It will take a whole lot of elbow grease and time to alleviate the problem.

Good luck with it. Btw, hard lesson learned... pun intended.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Without electricity you're going to have a hard time of it. You can continue with files but you will probably need to buy some new ones and wear them out finishing that blade. Or, you could buy some EDM stones and try those, they should last longer than files but may not cut as fast. It may be difficult to get a better answer than that as I doubt many of us would have faced a similar situation without the use of power tools.

However, if this is your first blade then congratulations are in order for your apparently very successful heat treatment .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Skilled

Yes, coarse stones are your best bet, you can probably figure out some way to use them in your filing jig. You can get files that are 64+ RockwellC, they are expensive but will cut just about any steel. Emery paper is too soft for hardened steel, try aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, they will work just as well as a stone, if you can keep them flat.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:43 AM

Any chance of normalizing the blade, make it soft, fixing the problem then re heat treating. Or use a torch to soften,fix, then re harden.
Steve

Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Get some of those el cheapo diamond sharpeners (set of 3 at Harbor Freight), use the coarse one glued to some stiff wood backing and wear it out......or if you can find one, they used to make a scythe/mower hone with a very coarse stone and built in handle. These will be more aggressive than a worn file. As said you're in for a lot of elbow grease work. Just use that time to chant what you did wrong over and over and over.......sometimes it sticks and you will remember.
Tough doin's, but just don't stop at good enough. That much work/time...take it all the way.

Just a note of possibility - sometimes a draw filing motion from choil to tip will get you some more aggressive life out of you files instead of going across the full flat trying to remove a lot of steel at one time you can just work the "corner" or top of the bevel. Might help things go a bit faster.

Stephen's suggestion is a pretty good alternative. Depending on steel used and whether you did the HT in house or sent it out. Weigh the differences on annealing getting it closer then re-HT, over working down hardened steel. If in house HT it's a no brainer, provided the steel is a forgiving one.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

The only other option i can think of is to save that blade for when you can use electricity and just make a new blade.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 AM

Where you located Nick? You might find you can get some hands on help with the issue if you fill out your profile. Probably a knifemaker here living close by. Some things are easier shown than described.

By the way, what kind of steel and who & how on heattreating?

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, diamond, edge, files, flat, hand, handle, harden, heat, heat treatment, hone, jig, knife, knife project, knifemaker, make, problem, project, simple, steel, stock removal, stone, tools, wood