MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:22 AM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to DavidMuellen
Grinder Selection

Well, I've decided to make the plunge and go with a real grinder for once. Only problem is what brand and what size contact wheel should I choose for the first time? I was looking real hard at the Wilton Square Wheel with the 8" serrated wheel but I don't know for sure. And being a die maker, I have the tooling avalable to make one, but not too sure on the design. Any suggestions would be of great help. In fact, anything would help me 'cause i don't know anything about this. Thanks.
David
Old 12-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Skilled

First, what type of grinding do you plan on doing & what can you spend?
There are some detailed threads on griders in the tool forum - it would be worth your while to search for prior comments.
I have a Bader BIII with 1 1/2 HP variable speed DC motor, and use it primarily with a flat platen. I am very happy with this machine - particularly the variable speed - but it costs over $ 2,000 with a few accessories.
The KMG is an excellent machine, and can be easily set up with step pulleys to vary speeds with a much less expensive AC motor.
Comments from owners suggest an very good setup can be put together for not much more than $ 1,000.
There are many other good choices ranging from several hundred $$$ to several thousand.
Important features to me were continuously variable speed, quick change features for wheels, platens, etc., open design so that I could work 270 degrees around the machine. ease of maintenance and parts availability, and purchased complete - just plug in and operate. Also, at least initially, stick with 2"X72" belt machines as they are the standard for knifemaking.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

This question must rank as the most ask question ever on this forum so be sure to do a search to see what has been said. Other than that, everyone has an opinion but the bottom line is that the grinder is the most important piece of equipment in your shop so that means it has to suit the way you like to do things because you're going to spend a lot of time with it. Therefore, nobody's opinion but yours will really matter.

Any of the grinders sold by the major knife suppliers is worth a look so get catalogs and start checking them out. Also, there are several outfits that build grinders for knifemakers that you should see, such as http://www.geocities.com/beaumontmetal/index.html
and
http://www.riversidemachine.net/index2.ivnu

As for the wheel size, 8" and 10" wheels are the most popular but it really depends on the size of blade you expect to hollow grind the most.

This is one question that you probably shouldn't let anyone else answer for you...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 12-13-2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:21 AM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to DavidMuellen
Thanks for the input, from what I've read, that KMG seems pretty good, but just a little out of my budget. I was wondering, do the serrations on the contact wheel make a big differance on how the belt cuts? I would think it would go faster but what would I have to sacrifice for the speed? Just wondering that because I think I'm going to have to make one since an apprentice's pay leaves alot to be wanted.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If your budget is really tight then consider getting a Grizzly 2x72 for under $300. Many of us started with the Grizzly and continue to use them in our shops even after we get much more expensive grinders. They have a few limitations but they are powerful, reliable, and absolutely the most grinder you can buy for that price.

I think the serrated wheels probably cut a little more aggressively and they run a little cooler. They seem to be the most popular choice but I think most of us buy them just because they look so cool. Most any wheel you can get will work fine if it runs smoothly.

If you want to make a grinder, get Goddard's $50 Knife Shop book. There are plans in there for a basic grinder....
Old 12-21-2002, 07:09 AM
Skilled

http://www.logcabinforge.com/pages/834870/index.htm
Look at this site and see what you think. I beleive you can buy the basic grinder, without the motor, for around $400.00 + S/H. I have talked to owners of this grinder and have had no bad feedback. I am not making any recomendations, just trying to show you some more options.
Ken (wwjd)

Tags
blade, forge, knife