MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Steel Addict

Coin edge on guard, pommel, or spine

Hi,
A search did not pull this up so here goes.
I want to know how to best put a coin edge on guards, pommels, and blade spines. I have considered a modified knurling setup on a lathe. Limited to round. I am hoping there is something that promises more even cuts than just eyeball and a file. I do not have calibrated eyeballs!
Thanks, Ken

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on the menu. Liberty is a well-armed sheep.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

A "serrating" file from Brownell's might do the trick. Some call them "checkering" files, but they are not the same animal as the type used for checkering gun stockS. They're about 1/2" to 3/4" wide with rows of teeth spaced evenly along the face fo the file. They have fine to coarse spacing, cut about 5-8 rows/slots at a time.

Last edited by srjknives; 08-30-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks. I will look at that. ...Ken

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on the menu. Liberty is a well-armed sheep.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:42 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Hey, Ken----

Checkering files (AKA as parallel line files) can be found thru "search" efforts. Brownell does handle them in several size cuts but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. One of the best are made by Grobet of Switzerland. The ones I have are 6"x 1/2" and I have had for half a century and are still in great shape. They average about 25/30 dollars each so are rather pricey. They work best on straight edges or outside edges such as your knife spine or edges of your guards. They cut to the depth of the teeth in perfect parallel lines and cut wider than the file by moving the file over and catching the last two lines of the previous cut. If you would like to "try before buy" let me know and I will lend you one if you would tell me where to send it --- Sandy

Old 08-31-2003, 06:47 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the offer!
If you are going to be at Flat-Rock you can show it to me there.
I am making every effort to get there this year.
My catalog showed a serration file in the index but none on the page indicated.
So checkering sounds good as they list a lot of them. I guess get a wide one for outside curves and a small 2 line for the inside curves, and a small triangle file for faking it on the very tight inside curves.
Thanks, Ken

Old 10-05-2003, 05:21 AM

Hey Sandy and Ken,
Ken - Sandy will be at Trackrock or we'll go get him (know where he lives and it's very close by). I'll throw one of mine in the tote box for you to look at just in case. You'll really miss out if you don't spend some time this fella while you're there.
Sandy - Ken has reserved the campsite right across from me. I think you guys met at Pop's Grind-in last year when John brought you down. Sorry I haven't made it up recently, to many irons in the fire. (Actually opened up to big a can of paint!)

Man, it's almost here! See both of you there.
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Crex and Sandy,
I got a chance to see one at the Terry Ellerbee Hammer-In on Saturday. Micky Wise was the forging demonstrator.
During a handle demonstration, Billy Bob, I got to see a 4 row checkering file made for metal. Looked like the ticket.
Those who did not go missed a good hanmmer-in. We also worked on Wizards.
Enjoy, Ken

Old 12-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast

Bout all the knife suppliers sell checkering files. I have one I bought from Jantz a couple three years ago and I use it for filing thumb grooves in the lock tab on my titanium liners and such. The regular checkering files do fine on annealed steel and ti and nickel silver and such. Seems like mine is 20 lines per inch but you can get them in different set ups.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:29 AM
Steel Addict

Hi,
Yea, I got a 20 lpi from Brownells. Now to find a 15 and a 10 lpi.
File straight across for a coin effect, or diagonal for a rope effect.
Great fun and have a Merry Christmas...Ken

Old 12-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Skilled

Ken, you can also file at a 90 degree angle to the first diagonal, or close to it, and you will end up with checkering.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Guru

There is a file called a thread file, it is square, 4 different thread spacing on each end. That is 8 different size spaces for each file. There are several files to cover all the different thread spacings.
Most machine shop supply stores have them. These files will work great to get started and go quite a way and then finish with a 3 corner or knife edge file. Hope this helps. Gib

Old 12-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Skilled

cactus, I have two of the "thread" files and never thought of using them. Great idea !!!!!!!!!!
how do they hold up ?
can you use them on Hardened steel ?
do you worry about the blade cracking during heat treating if you only use them on soft steel ?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Guru

Thy won't work on hard steel, very few files will. Any file work would have the potential to cause cracks after heat treating but that is not likely, after all we are not building sharpened crow bars. I would use the files to mark out the work to de done then finish it with other files. Gib

Tags
blade, forging, knife