MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

chuck slipping

I have a delta shopmaster 10" drill press ($99 @ lowes) and I am just starting to try to use it. the chuck keeps slipping off of the spindle (right word?) as I drill, usually right before/after I break through. I'm slowly 'tapping' the drill. I'm trying to use cobalt bits to drill through .050" thick Titanium. I'm running on the slowest speed I can, 620RPM says the press.

The chuck is installed by hitting it (!) with a rubber mallet (per instructions). I am actually using a rubber sanding block, flat side towards the chuck and pounding on the rounded side with a hammer, if that makes any sense.

Am I just not smacking the thing hard enough to properly seat the chuck?, or am I trying to drill something I shouldnt? Maybe I need a rubber mallet. hmmm

many thanks,
daniel
Old 03-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

SMACK it.

Yeah, get the rubber hammer and use this as an excuse to buy some other tools too. OR say you need some other stuff to be able to use this tool and go spend $40 or $50 on all kinds of stuff.

I learnt this from my wife, a $20 dress on sale is never a $20 dress because now she needs shoe, purse and who knows what else. OH and look, when I was shopping for shoes to match the $20 dress I also found ______.

Old 03-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Steel Addict

chuck slipping

If your chuck has a morse taper, make sure you degrease the tapered hole in the spindle and also the taper on your chuck.
Open the chuck jaws all the way, then get a piece of hardwood and place it on the flat part (bottom) of your chuck and hit it a couple of sharp blows with a hammer. That should stay in, unless the tapers are not compatible with each other. I hope this helps.
Roland
Old 03-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Check for grease as navajas said, but also grinding dust or chips.
Use a small dowel to push a shop towel into the taper and clean it out. HTH
Don