MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Skilled

file sets?

Alright,i'm halfway through doing some filework on my typhoon.i'm using the
micro file set but find my triangle file wearing out on me!could anyone recommend
a good set or brand of small files?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Im not sure if they would be considered MICRO, but MSC, Granger and several of the other Big Name companies have small sets, I got mine from MSC I think, the brand name is Dietch, made in Switzerland. Very nice files, but not cheap, I think I paid $58 for a 32 piece set a few years ago, but they are A-1 files. You might also look into diamond files, dont know which would last the longest. Mabe someone else will chime in.

God Bless
Mike

Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 PM

You really don't nead a full set. Your better off spending your money investing in a few really good files. Almost all of my filework is done with a three-square and a half-round. I grind off one side of the three-square creating a "safety side" (That excellent bit of advice was given to me several years ago by Tim Herman)...

Another good shape file to have is a Marking File. If you grind the flat back so that the edges are now curved in a bit in the direction of the round side (in effect you're rounding off the flat back to sorta match the radius of the curved side), you'll create a sharp edge on each side...excellent for getting a good, clean, rounded or straight cut. The back side of the marking file is already "safe" so there's no worry of accidently filing while your focused on the other (I learned about the Marking file idea from filework master, Dwayne Dushane).

I recommend either Grobet or Nicholson files, both can be found at MSC Industrial Supply. If you don't have one, you should order their "Big Book"...a must have for every knifemaker...and it's free!

Here's the link for needle files...I've already narrowed the search to 5 1/2", swiss cut files. As you look through those, make sure you're looking at needle files:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRAR2

Here's the link to the Grobet, 5 1/2" #2 Cut Three Square. (If you're only going to buy one cut, start with a #2...It won't take long for you to realize that to really do a 1st class job, you'll want the basic range of cuts #0, #2, #4):
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=1967825

I recently started using Grobet's 4" files...I love them! They're not for every filework job...but for the tight, small stuff they are really great!

Hope that helps...

Dennis Greenbaum

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 05-25-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Skilled

Thank's for the info guy's,i've already ordered a couple set's that should arrive any day now!this is my first attempt at filework,but if i decide to continue with it (im sure i will),then i'll order some of the ones you pointed out dennis.

thank's again!!