MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Newb Timeline

I have been a long time reader with only a few posts so I thought I would contribute and show everyone my knife making progress. I started with a skinner type design that I like and dove in. Correlate the numbers on the picture to the numbers below for details.

1) O1 3/32 - My first try at a knife. I destroyed it lol. I never used a grinder before so it was a learning process. I then practiced some filing on it. I'll keep it
2) I decided not to destroy steel that I bought so I practiced on an old saw blade. I got the profile and a bevel. I didn?t want to waste what little handle material I have so I made a paracord handle. In kinda cuts
3) O1 3/32 - I messed this one up trying to do the bevel on the blade. That is not easy. I put it aside and then started number 4. Based on what I learning from knives 4-7 I started to go back to this knife and fix it. I think I can salvage it.
4) O1 3/32 - I made a filing jig that I have been using. Using my belt sander is a no go for now, it just eats knifes. I finished this knife, pinned the handle, and shaped it. I am pretty happy with this one except I don?t think I had my O1 heat treat recipe down. The steel does not seem like it hardened much and scratches easy. Seems to hold an ok edge. My biggest take away was doing the handle, I learned a lot.
5-6) O1 3/32 - I am getting the hang of the process and want to practice two types of scale and also pinning a nickel silver pin in a nickel silver bolster. I can still see the lines, so I need to practice that. I read a lot about it and have a good idea what to do next I try it. Almost done with 5 and need to put 6 together. Also wanted to work with G10.
7) O1 3/32 ? I decided to deviate from my pattern a bit and try a guard as well. I just got a metal bandsaw so I wanted to practice making my own guard. I got a nice snug fit. Good practice going though the process. I need to put this one together.
8) I decided to expose myself to something totally new ? 440C steel and a hidden tang hunter. This should be fun

Just thought I would share my newb timeline since I starting making knives. I have a lot of WIP at the moment but plan on wrapping up knife 3 and knives 5-7 in a couple weeks and focus on #8, the hidden tang hunter. Happy knife making.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You're doing great! Seems like you're making good progress with a good amount of success and learning from your failures and that's how it should be. Do you have a heat treat oven? If you do then keep working with the O1. If you don't, then try using 1080 or 1084 instead. O1 is a great steel, maybe the best ever for handmade knives, but it needs an oven to get the best out of it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray!
I have an Evenheat oven that I have been using, which has been my biggest investment so far. Still tweaking the O1 recipe a bit too, but the last couple knives seem pretty tough. I have a lot to learn about steel, but it is fascinating to be honest.

Thanks for the validation on O1, I decided to pick one non-stainless and one stainless steel to work with for awhile until I feel proficient, and chose O1 and 440C based on everything I read. Trying to make a knife is hard enough, and adding all different kinds of steel to the mix is just too much for me to absorb at this point
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You picked well, those two steels can make excellent knives. When you have time, look into cryo treatment, especially for the 440C. Cryo adds a whole new dimension to the performance of a humble 440C blade. You can do a fairly good cryo using kerosene and dry ice. That method isn't as good as liquid nitrogen but it's a lot less expensive if you don't own a dewar ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
bevel, blade, design, easy, edge, fixed blade, g10, guard, handle, heat treat, hidden, hunter, jig, knife, knife making, knives, made, material, paracord, paracord handle, pattern, pinning, saw blade, steel, tang